July 27, 2017

Picking a Favorite

Do you ever get asked what your favorite destination in Europe is?

I do.  People ask me regularly what my favorite place is and as I’m about to reply I start thinking what about location A or what about location B?  It’s kind of like asking me to pick my favorite child!

Berchtesgaden Bavaria Germany by Eric Sorenson

Berchtesgaden Germany by Eric Sorenson

I could easily say my favorite place in Europe is Bavaria. I find myself drawn to this part of Germany time and time again.  But by picking Bavaria, what does that say about all the other wonderful places I’ve been?  I mean who couldn’t love the French Basque region? Or Normandy? Or what about InnsbruckLast summer I visited Innsbruck and fell in love. So just because I haven’t spent as much time there means it’s not my favorite?  How do I know it wouldn’t become my favorite if I spent more time there?

View of Innsbruck Austria

View of Innsbruck Austria by Leo-setä, on Flickr

And by picking a favorite, where does that leave all the places I dream about visiting? Dordogne, Croatia, Costa Brava and Black Forest are just a few of the places I long to visit.  Will one of these replace my current favorite?

Dordogne river france

Dordogne by Jos Dielis, on Flickr

What makes you label a place as your favorite? Is it the people?  The food?  The scenery? Or is it a sense of peace you get just by being there?  Like love, no words need to be spoken you are just filled with an overwhelming sense of comfort.  Just like an old pair of shoes, this special place fits you like a glove.

Peaceful Lautersee Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Peaceful Lautersee above Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

If I’m honest, that is exactly how I feel when I visit southern Bavaria. I love the people, the food, the scenery and the ambiance.   It just seems to fit me like a glove and makes me feel warm and comfortable.  This part of Bavaria is also a sentimental favorite since I spent most of my time here during my very first European trip.  So . . .

Grounds of Linderhof Castle Bavaria Germany

Grounds of Linderhof

If I asked you right now to name your favorite place in Europe, what would it be?

Comments

1. Born27 says:

What a tough question Debbie and it hard to choose. But I have to go with Paris, for many reasons, it’s a beautiful city, it’s big, it has so much culture and you feel it when you are there and i love going back to again and again.

2. If I HAD to pick one place, it would be Bavaria. It brings back memories of taking German class in high school. And, it’s just so darn beautiful!

But I’m very glad I don’t have to pick just one…
    Juliann | Browsing the Atlas recently posted..No More Noodles

I couldn’t agree with you more, Bavaria is indeed “darn beautiful”! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

3. Denise says:

I can never answer that question when I’m asked. The truth is that I absolutely loved almost all the places I visited, apart from Amsterdam, Istanbul and Bali.
    Denise recently posted..My favourite bits of London plus a Wimdu accommodation voucher giveaway

It is difficult to pick a favorite! I have loved most places I’ve visited too except Budapest.

4. That is a tough question. My current favorite is Spain. I like it so much that I went there three trips in a row and would return again and again. I really have not been to a country in Europe that I have not liked.
    Jeff @ GoTravelzing recently posted..Sundays in Retiro Park – Madrid

5. Thalia says:

Well there are actually a lot of places in Europe that are so nice and perfect for a holiday.. I might pick the place where I enjoyed most, of course Italy!

6. Aidabelle says:

I wouldn’t ask why this is your favorite destination. Germany is indeed a beautiful place. And no one I know told me that they will never come back visiting the place.

7. Lynne says:

I would say southern France, for all the reasons you said Bavaria. I had hoped to visit Bavaria on my first trip to Europe many (many) years ago. I drove along the Rhine and into the Black Forest but missed Bavaria. OH, and your post … it made me drool. 🙂

8. Tough question. I’d have to go with Bamberg, Germany and Ticino, Switzerland. I just love Bellinzona and Lugano, the mountains, the lakes, and the ice cream!
    Christina (Jandal Road) recently posted..Adventures in British Columbia: Ziplining on Grouse Mountain

9. I feel the same, Debbie. Hard to pick a favorite place when I like so many and so many of them make me feel so comfortable, I think I must have lived there in a past life. I mean, how else to explain how someone from Jamaica can go someplace like Barcelona, or the English countryside and feel totally at home.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..#TPThursday: Crackling Pig Roast

A past life would answer it, wouldn’t it? I just hope I wasn’t some jerk in this past life of mine 🙂

10. It is impossible to pick favorites. All of my favorites are “qualified.” Favorite beach, favorite hiking, etc.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Foto of the Week from … Buenos Aires – Tacky

Agreed but I think I’d have a difficult time picking one of each category! Maybe some would be easier than others though.

11. These tourists attractions in Europe are perfect place to visit. I love those places and I want to visit them all. They are all my favorite. All of them are interesting and amazing to explore.

I love that you love Bavaria so much! I have favorite places according to different categories of which there are quite a few, i.e. favorite place for hiking, favorite city for culture, favorite off-beat place, favorite castle….and so the list goes on.
    Laurel recently posted..Travel Like a Local in Rome

13. Sorry Debbie, I can’t pick a favorite destination either. Europe is just full of wonderful destinations and they’re all so unique. You’re right, it’s like asking me to pick a favorite child =) Although, I can tell you that #1 on my travel bucket list is Bavaria and hoping to make it there soon.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Strolling Solvang: Danish Capital of America

I know, it is very difficult. All the wonderful unique destinations is one of the great things about Europe!

14. Anyone who knows me wouldn’t have to make too many guesses for my answer, but you’re right- how many fabulous places out there have I yet to see? (Innsbruck, for one, and I just finished wandering Catallonia with Mallory, armchair style of course)

My place? Tavira in the Eastern Algarve.
    Johanna Bradley recently posted..Wedding photos

I don’t think I could pick one…. Germany is home and I love visiting friends and family there and getting that instant feeling of being home. But there are some places in Europe where I really like visiting like Brittany, Normandy, Tuscany, …. can’t choose 🙂

You know, when I visit Germany I get a small sense of home too. Do you think its my German heritage coming through? LOL

16. Chucky says:

I agree that one of the things that can make a place special is just the sense of peace you have being there. Thanks for sharing.

I can only pick one place??? Man that’s hard. I can pick a country – France – and loved the Dordogne region even more than Provence bu then there’s Paris. Too tough a question but do get yourself to the Dordogne area soon. Beautiful but they sure eat a lot of duck a lot of different ways there.
    Leigh recently posted..Experiencing Antarctica – Overview of a 10 Day Antarctic Adventure

See, you’re doing exactly what I do! The Dordogne is very high on my list and I am hoping I can visit very soon. They eat a lot of duck in Aquitaine too and on everything!

18. Jeff Titelius says:

Although I have yet to visit, I think Bavaria would be at the top of my list! Your pics beautifully capture the stunning scenery of this fairy tale kingdom! And yes, quite a few places on ky bucket list for sure! Thanks fornthisnmost fantastic voyage thru my favorite place in the world–Europe!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..The Splendor of the Seaside Village of Marken in The Netherlands

• Jeff Titelius says:

And sorry for the typos thx to my iPad. Lol.

No worries about the typos but we do need to get you to Bavaria! I can already imagine your wonderful photos and energetic posts detailing your visit.

19. You ask the tough questions!

Right now, I’d say Bologna, Italy. It’s the food. And the gelato.
    Kent @ No Vacation Required recently posted..It’s a Wrap

20. Hard to pick for sure, but I have to go with Paris…at least from what I’ve experienced. Yes, I know it’s a little cliche, but there is just something magical about it…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..High Stakes on the Mississippi Gulf Coast

You’re right DJ, there is something special about Paris! It is one of my favorite cities too. Curious though, what draws you to Paris?

21. I have only been to Turkey, not anywhere else in Europe. I would love to go to any of the places you’ve been, and Croatia is high on our list of places we want to go next. We’re hoping as part of a cruise, but… Time & money & health issues with our aging pets has so far prevented that. I know how you feel about favorite places. I can more easily tell you places I didn’t care for. Too many compete in my heart for 1st place faves!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Media Monday: Phantom of the Opera & Haunted French Theatres

22. Same for me. I constantly get asked what my favorite place is, and although the answer is easy (London), I do have dozens of other places that I like a lot! It’s so hard picking just one.

23. I relate to this post so much. I usually cringe when someone asks me to pick a favorite anything, but especially a travel destination. So sorry, I won’t be able to answer your question! 🙂 I agree that one of the things that can make a place special is just the sense of peace you have being there. Now I”m yearning to go to all of the places you’ve mentioned.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Watching the Dog Walkers in Buenos Aires

It is hard to pick just one because there are so many awesome places each with their very own personality!

24. Imperator says:

I would choose between Sighisoara (Romania) and Dubrovnik (Croatia)… for the history and the wonderful old buildings.
    Imperator recently posted..Doar 650 euro pana la Dallas cu British Airways

History and old buildings are always a big draw for me too! I’m impressed you got it down to two destinations 🙂

25. Denise L says:

Definitely Italy! Or anyplace near the Mediterranean. Or maybe the Loire Valley. Wait, wait…..the Alps or maybe Paris. I thought I could do it, but I can’t.

26. Carol says:

oh what a perfect place to visit. I would like to visit that place one of these days with my family. the pictures looks so great!

1. […] not indecisive but I have a hard time naming my favorite European travel destination, it just feels wrong to all the other wonderful places I’ve visited.  But if pressed, I would […]

2. […] probably bored you by going over the top in Bavaria, Bavaria How do I love Thee and if pushed to pick a favorite it would be Bavaria. Munich Skyline by BAYERN TOURISMUS Marketing […]