June 25, 2017

The World of Violins in Mittenwald

Whether you enjoy Classical, Rock or Country music, if you listen to music your life has been touched by violins.  In a grand fusion, violins have moved from the concert halls of famous composers like Mozart to the arenas of Rock or Country music.  I’d like to think that charming Mittenwald Germany has had a little to do with this!Beautiful Violins Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Salzburg is famous for its hills being alive with the Sound of Music but there is another village in the area that is famous for instruments that help make this beautiful music! For more than 300 years violins from this unassuming mountain village, located near the border of Tirol and Bavaria, have been famous in the musical world.  Even Mozart played a violin with the “made in Mittenwald” stamp!Violins Geigenbau Museum Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Matthias Klotz was a violin maker from Mittenwald who brought his craft to this lovely town.  Since 1685 the industry of violin making has made a huge impact on the city as well as the surrounding area.Violin Museum Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Knowing the place Mittenwald holds in the history of violins, I set out to find the Geigenbau Museum. Not only did I find a wonderful museum but one of my favorite buildings in all of Mittenwald! The museum is home to a grand collection of violins from the Klotz family and other violin masters dating back to the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.Workshop Violin Museum Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Not only can you see some of these exquisite violins but there are also many other plucked instruments on display.  While exploring the museum you will find displays of Baroque and Modern violins, as well as a workshop and a history of Mittenwald’s violin trade.Instruments Violin Museum Mittenwald Germany

The Geigenbau Museum is a wonderful display of the culture that has shaped Mittenwald!

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Thanks for the good short article, I was searching for specifics like this, visiting take a look at the various other posts.

2. Many thanks for the good post, I was searching for details similar to this, visiting take a look at the various other posts.

3. These remind me of the film “The Red Violin.” Have you seen it? It is awesome, you must!
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..A Spa Day at Glen Ivy Hot Springs – Corona, California

4. I enjoy listening to the sound of the violin even though I don’t know how to use it.

I love quirky museums like this one and I still haven’t been to Mittenwald, despite living so close!
    Laurel recently posted..Cucina Povera: Peasant Cuisine is Back in Style

I’m always amazed at how much I don’t visit the areas that are very close to me! I need visitors to make me seek them out 🙂

6. I’ve always enjoyed the sound of the violin. Would be interesting to see an historical workshop.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Foto of the Week from Sucre: The Mirador

The museum is very interesting but you can also go see some of the actual workshops. Very interesting!

7. Jenna says:

Nice! This would be interesting to me. I love seeing the history of places, especially when it involves the arts/music.

8. Jackie Smith says:

What a wonderful place you found! I love these kind of places and history. Thanks for sharing this one with us all.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: A Sonoran Spring

9. Marlys says:

Violins, to me, sound so sad, which is why my favourite musical instrument is a flute.
    Marlys recently posted..Easy Hiking Is Adventure For Beginners

I love violins, it’s the most gorgeous of instruments, both visually and to hear. I don’t play it myself, but have “persuaded” both my daughters to learn. Have you seen the film “The Red Violin”, all about following the life of a violin and its owners through the centuries?
    Sophie recently posted..The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – the real Narnia

I agree with you Sophie! The music that comes out of this one instrument is amazing. The wordwork that goes into making them is a great example of stunning artwork. I haven’t seen that movie but have made a note to find it , thanks 🙂

11. What an interesting and charming town. Another one to put on my list during our Sound of Music/Bavaria tour. I love all those violins on display.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Touring Torcello Island, Italy

12. Lisa says:

These are wonderful! I would love to see them, I’ve never even heard of that city!
    Lisa recently posted..Family Travel: Travel with a Senior

13. I absolutely LOVE German/Swiss/Austrian small towns–I find them very charming. I did not, however, visit this part of Bavaria unfortunately. Too bad! I love music (sp violins!) and would have love to learn more about the history. Your post was great on that end, though! 😉
    Nomadic Translator recently posted..Siesta Key beach FL photos: The best USA beach? Maybe…

14. Some of those violins are so beautiful! What an honor for Mittenwald. Great legacy.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..#TPThursday: Falling for YS Falls

15. Dick Jordan says:

I’ve heard of this place, but wasn’t able to get there on past trips to that part of Europe.
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: “People-ing”Your Trip Photos

16. I enjoy violins in all kinds of music. I really didn’t know about Mittenwald’s violin-making history. Interesting. Such a beautiful instrument in sound and design.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Capital Ideas for a Washington D.C. Visit

17. Muza-chan says:

A great place to visit, thank you 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day: Chatmonchy – Koko Dake no Hanashi

18. I would love to visit the Geigenbau Museum! And now you’ve made me want to go check inside my own violin to see where it’s made 🙂
    Andi at The Particular Traveler recently posted..Travel Tip: Take the City Tour!

Recently I was at a concert at someone’s home with five of the Calgary Philharmonic members. Not only did I get to enjoy an intimate performance, I learned the history of each instrument from each musician. I have a new found appreciation for where the instruments are built – and in fact the history of each instrument. I would find a trip to Mittenwald Museum very worthwhile now.
    Leigh recently posted..Photos from Hiking the Kerry Way in Ireland

20. Lisa says:

What a lovely museum – music is very important in our family and we would love to visit someplace like this. My girls both want to visit Salzburg for the Sound of Music connection so this is another place that we could visit when we finally make it to Austria.
    Lisa recently posted..National Arts Centre – Oscar Peterson Sculpture

I think you’re family would love Mittenwald! Especially the lakes in the nearby mountains. Lovely spot for a restful break or hike!

21. Carol says:

wow. Very informative post. I really love it. So much information that may help others regarding this matter. 🙂 anyways this is a very useful post !

1. website says:

website…

The World of Violins in Mittenwald | European Travelista…