July 24, 2016

Picturesque Costa Brava

Marc Chagall called it “Blue Paradise” and Dali called it home.  No matter what you call it, both were inspired by the north western corner of Spain we know as the Costa Brava.

Picturesque Tossa de Mar Costa Brava Catalonia Spain

Picturesque Tossa de Mar by Gordito1869

This portion of Catalonia is famous for many things but none more exceptional than the picturesque resorts, sandy beaches and rugged beauty that stretches from Barcelona north to the border with France.

Cadaques Costa Brava Catalonia Spain

Cadaqués by clurr, on Flickr

Costa Brava, also known as the “Wild Coast”, is the name given to the coastline of the Catalonia region.  This coast alternates between cliffs and beaches which contrast with a Mediterranean Sea that is clear and deep blue. Today it is filled with small resorts that are sprinkled along a coast that is still as wild and beautiful as it ever was.

Scenic Costa Brava Catalonia Spain

Costa Brava by Albert T M, on Flickr

Fishing ports, scenic bays, sandy beaches, artist colonies, jagged cliffs and coves dot the landscape. The Costa Brava is full of picturesque resort and fishing villages which are nestled between craggy cliffs.  These cliffs make scenic drives impressive and a great way to enjoy the views of the Mediterranean. After driving the breathtaking and dramatic roads, you will know why this region is known as the Wild Coast!

Llafranc Costa Brava Catalonia Spain

Llafranc by Nanami Turambar, on Flickr

But the beauty of the area should be seen both from the coast and the water!  With the many rugged cliffs, a boat tour of the coast is one of the best ways to enjoy the dramatic views.

Scenic Costa Brava Coast Catalonia Spain

Costa Brava Coast by Gabriele Delhey

Among the scenic towns that litter the shoreline of the Costa Brava are Tossa del Mar, Loret del Mar and Blanes, which are known for their sandy beaches.  Roses is a beautiful city resting on the shores of a bay with the same name.  The coves of Aiguablava offer peace and serenity while the dramatic coast of Palafrugell enchant all visitors of this fishing port.

Calella de Palafrugell Costa Brava Catalonia Spain

Calella de Palafrugell by Jorge Franganillo, on Flickr

The Costa Brava is full of picture perfect villages which makes it hard to label one as the “most picturesque”.

What is your favorite spot along the Costa Brava?

Related posts:

1. 5 Guiding Lights of Europe!
  2. Catalonia – Spain’s Best Kept Secret?
  3. Charming Biarritz & Her Lighthouse
  4. 3 must-see Roman ruins in Majorca
  5. Brittany France – Sleeping in a Chateau

Comments

1. Jeff Titelius says:

GorGeous pictures my friend! And to think I passed on a press trip to this this region… How foolish of me! I’ve certainly captured its essence my friend with your glorious photos!!

2. How stunning! Anything liked by Chagall and Dali has got to be allright by me!

3. Well chosen photos Debbie – I would definitely recommend Tossa De Mar – there’s a castle there and a life size sculpture of Ava Gardner who filmed Pandora and the Flying Dutchman there with James Mason in the 50s.
    Julie McNamee recently posted..Quirky City Guide to Belfast

4. Sarah Smith says:

Oh my goodness! Just breathtaking! I don’t get to travel much, but I would love to. Until then I have to live through the pictures!

5. Ayngelina says:

So beautiful, I have been to Spain but never Costa Brava but it’s now on my list.
    Ayngelina recently posted..My newest chef crush

The Costa Brava does appear to be spectacular plus I’ve heard the cuisine is equally as good!

I wish we’d had a bit more time to explore north of Barcelona last fall. There are so many charming places worth exploring. I love the dramatic coastlines.
    Leigh recently posted..It’s Wildflower Season in the Shuswap Region of BC

7. Denise says:

I’ve never been but it looks beautiful, and it would be a great extention to a trip to Barcelona

8. carol says:

Beautiful place your so blessed to visit there and take some pictures.Thanks for posting those beautiful photos.

9. Spencer says:

Great photos! Looks like an awesome place to visit. Makes me intrigued to go there.
    Spencer recently posted..The Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh

10. I have two words for this: ROAD TRIP! Wow, just stunning. A boat tour would be wonderful for taking in the sights, too!
    Andi at The Particular Traveler recently posted..Dreaming of New York City

11. Born27 says:

Wow! everything about this place looks beautiful and it feels so relaxing. I hope that i can visit this awesome place someday . Thanks for sharing these lovely photos with us!

12. Marlys says:

Love these pictures. Such a lovely place to spend summers in. I wish I wish….
    Marlys recently posted..Don’t Mention The Siege

13. Marlys says:

Ah, the very kind of neighbourhood where I wouldn’t mind spending my summers in. Lovely!

14. I have so much left to explore in Spain! I only covered Barcelona and Sitges when I was there, but those two places were enough to make me hungry for more.
    Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..Guest Post: A Backpacker’s Tour Of India

15. Andrea says:

I love this part of Spain. I’ve been a few times now and there’s so much to see. I’ve never been in summer though so I plan to go back when it’s warm to explore all the different beaches.
    Andrea recently posted..Road Trip: Amsterdam to Maastricht

Costa Brava is part of Spain you don’t hear much about. But of all the things I have heard, not one bad thing has come up!

16. Beautiful area and have always heard great things about it. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to this part of Spain during our last visit but it’s been added to the travel bucket list.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Photo Post: Where have you taken a nap while traveling?

17. Another one very good thing in Catalonia – the roads. Better than in Germany.
    Victor Tribunsky recently posted..Russian Castles: Viborg

18. It feels like eons ago now, but my memories of the Costa Brava are as clear as ever. I don’t have a favorite spot. I was just bowled over by the blueness of the ocean and the raw beauty of the place. Considering I took photos of every facet of my time in Spain, I’m surprised that I have none of the Costa Brava. My only explanation is that I must have been truly mesmerized and had no time for the camera. Thanks for taking me back, Debbie!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..5 Things to do in Montego Bay

19. Gorgeous…I love Catalonia:)
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..The Reunion Golf Resort and Club – Orlando

20. I looove Cadaques. Such a picturesque and quaint village, especially with Dali’s influence over Port Lligat.
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..An Afternoon at the Romans Baths… in Bath

21. I like the rugged, northern part of Costa Brava as well. Both the art and the food there is outstanding.
    Italian Notes recently posted..The origin of urban planning

I have heard amazing things about the food and am looking forward to enjoying some of it soon!

1. building consultants…

Picturesque Costa Brava | European Travelista…