November 20, 2017

Miltenberg Calling!

As I’ve said in Gengenbach Calling and Hallstatt Calling, pictures speak to me.

Now I can add Miltenberg Germany to this list! I recently saw this picture of Miltenberg and it is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Bavaria and Germany!

Miltenberg Bavaria Germany river Main

Miltenberg by Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F079086-0035

Located on the banks of the Main River in the German state of Bavaria, Miltenberg is at a minimum one of the most beautiful locations in the area!

This medieval town was first mentioned in 1237 but it was around 155 AD that the Roman’s built a fortress and limes in the area.  In fact, it is these Roman Limes and the Main River that formed the Roman Empire’s border with Germania.

Marktplatz in Miltenberg am Main Bavaria Germany

Marktplatz in Miltenberg am Main by Bytfisch

Miltenberg still has many timbered buildings which help keep the feeling of medieval times.  Wander the old town center and medieval marketplace or discover the lovely St. Lawrence chapel and cemetery dating back to the 14th century.  Or visit the castle Mildenberg which has helped protect the village since 1230.

Miltenberg river Main Bavaria Germany

Miltenberg, river Main by reinholdbehringer, on Flickr

The hotel Zum Riesen, in Miltenberg’s Old Town, has laid claim to being one of Germany’s oldest Inns if not the oldest. It seems that way back in 1314 Ludwig from Bavaria stayed here not long after his coronation!  Now I’m not sure if this is the oldest inn in Germany but it sure has been around a long time and seen its share of history including witch trials which took place in the square out front of the inn.

Miltenberg Hotel Riesen Bavaria Germany rive Main

Miltenberg Hotel Riesen by Matthia Schussler

Miltenberg is in the middle of a wine producing region in Germany. There a many options to taste wine from the region including hiking through the vineyards sampling wine at local wine makers taverns!

Visitors may also enjoy hiking or biking along the trails on the Main River.   A popular hike is to Closter Engelberg for bread and beer!  Even though Miltenberg is in the middle of wine country, there are two breweries in town including one at the hotel Riesen.

Miltenberg Main river Bavaria Germany

Miltenberg 27 by Myrddin Pendragon, on Flickr

This peaceful serene village also makes a great base for seeing some of Germany’s other amazing villages including Rothenberg ob der Tauber, Wurzburg and Heidelberg.

Yes pictures inspire me and Miltenberg is definitely calling.

What pictures have inspired you to visit?

Comments

1. Amanda Baldwin says:

The photos are so beautiful. I love to visit the place. For sure there are many things to explore on this breathtaking place.

2. What a beautiful city…Love all the colors…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Copperhead at Innisbrook Golf Resort

3. Lovely Lewis says:

I love the photos! It reminds me a place where I used to visit.
    Lovely Lewis recently posted..Get Whiter Teeth in 1 Day

4. I have to say, it’s giving me a bit of a wave too! Wonderful architecture. I’ve been to Hallstadt many years ago, and loved that. No plans to go back that way so will just have to enjoy your posts meantime.
    Johanna Bradley recently posted..Sunday Post : Village

5. To answer your question, I’d have to say that these pics have me inspired to visit Miltenberg and other places in Bavaria. The market squares in these old German towns are so appealing. The last photo reminds me a bit of Heidelberg. All very pretty pics.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..See the World in Toronto

6. Love all the photos and Bavaria Germany is calling for me loud and clear too! Hoping for next summer. I can sit by that river and just relax. Any picturesque place inspires me to visit but mostly ones that look tropical =)

I would love to sit by the river and relax too! Hopefully you’ll get to Bavaria next summer. . . I know you won’t be disappointed.

7. The houses there look so cute!! (reminds me of the miniature doll houses)

I agree, the last photo is so beautiful! Definitely shows the charm of the city well.
    Annie – FootTracker recently posted..Off the Grid(Chart) Food Truck Specials!

8. Marlys says:

I love that particular area of Germany too, not only because it’s great for hiking but also it’s a very different Germany from what I know in terms of landscape, architecture and their accent.( I’ve lived in Northern Germany for most of the time)
    Marlys recently posted..German Currywurst Like No Other

I’ve heard the accents in Germany are quite different. Guess there are regional accents wherever you travel!

9. Steve says:

Absolutely love the last picture. I can imagine myself getting about half way across that bridge, then just stopping and looking back at the town for an hour or two. Maybe with a beer and some bratwurst.
    Steve recently posted..Tips For Booking A Hotel

10. Jeff Titelius says:

Miltenberg and Hallstatt call to me too my friend!! Extraordinary photos of this positivelyy enchanting region!! I just a special on Hallstatt last night and must get there soon!!! Thx for taking me there in your wonderful post!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Guided Tour to the Tuscan Hilltop Town of Pienza, Italy

I’ll bet that was a fantastic show! My list of small wonderful villages like these just keeps getting bigger and bigger but it is fun to discover new and exciting places to visit.

The first photo is very inspiring. The place sounds great with one of my favourite combos – hiking and drinking wine. I can see why you would want to go.
    Leigh recently posted..How to Bike & Visit Wineries from your Shuswap Lake Houseboat