November 20, 2017

Yin and Yang of Life in Innsbruck

Whether traveling in Paris, Munich or London, we have all seen Triumphal arches while wandering through Europe.

The arches we enjoy were inspired by the Romans and are usually built to commemorate war victories or founding a new colony, celebrating a new ruler or even a death of one.  The arches can represent a happy occasion or a sad one but in Innsbruck the triumphal arch actually commemorates both!

The building of the Triumphpforte (Triumphal Arch) was approved by Empress Maria Theresa to honor the wedding of her son.  Since there was not time to build a new arch, she had the existing south gate of Innsbruck renewed into this lovely example of a Roman arch.Triumphal Arch Innsbruck Austria

The year was 1765 and there was a bash going on in Innsbruck and all of Austria.  As the festivities wore on, the celebrating turned to grieving when out of the blue Maria Theresa’s husband, Emperor Franz I, died.

Standing on the southern end of Maria Theresien Strasse is this Triumphal Arch.  On the side facing north you will see marble reliefs celebrating the marriage of her son and on the other are reliefs that mourn the passing of her husband.

What Yin & Yang’s of Life have you seen in your travels?

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. web hosting says:

If you are offering a distinctive service, for instance and your
    name is virtually unfamiliar – the very first thing
    that prospects will do is actually look you upward.
    They carryout pay per click method and use inbound and outbound links for getting more traffic per
    day. It is your job to check their rules before joining a hosting company.
    web hosting recently posted..web hosting

2. Alotspace says:

When a visitor clicks the link, this is where they will
    be redirected to. Examples include pet stores, groomers and boarding.
    The Port can usually be left blank, unless your host has set a specific port
    to connect on (21 is default).
    Alotspace recently posted..Alotspace

3. yahoo says:

Thank you, I have recently been looking for information about this subject for a while and yours is the best I have discovered till now.
    But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure
    in regards to the source?
    yahoo recently posted..yahoo

4. Kate Miljanovic says:

Whatta beautiful arch! Its simply amazing and it’s great to know that it plays a role in history. Thanks much for sharing. 🙂

5. Jackie Smith says:

What an interesting travel tale! And yes, I love arches – any where, any kind. Nice post.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: A one-day island get-away

6. Nancie says:

Great shot, and some interesting history. I’ve taken more than my fair share of “arch” photos this week in Prague. Honestly haven’t given much thought to the yin and yang 🙂
    Nancie recently posted..Through the Sandbox Lens #41 — A Prague Street Performer

7. Thanks for the story. I must admit that I generally just pass under or by these arches with little thought to their meaning.
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Bonus Time-Bending Summer Reads

HA HA I find it hard to pass by. They are so big and usually take up so much space in the street!

8. Allison says:

I enjoy reading history and the powerful figure of Maria Theresa appears so frequently in the biographies of 18th Century Europeans. She is one of the most impressive women the world has ever seen. Thanks for a visual insight into this interesting woman.
    Allison recently posted..The Ogden Dinosaur Park is a dinosaur lover’s dream

I have been in awe of Maria Theresa ever since my first visit to Vienna years ago! You’re right, she was a very impressive woman. I find it amazing how many people don’t know her history or that her daughter was Marie Antoinette! It is indeed very interesting.

9. Interesting. Neat pic. And even neater history behind the arch.
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..No Posts Were Found!

10. Marlys says:

It’s like muscle flexing of an old man, really, these triumphal arches, remembrance of glorious pasts.
    Marlys recently posted..German Currywurst Like No Other

11. I unfortunately can’t think of a yin yang story from my travels, though I’m sure there are a lot in China. LOL Nice idea to take pictures of arches…maybe I have a few in my collection as well from my Eurotrip.
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..Rappelling and Other Things to Do in Mariveles, Bataan

12. What a beautiful arch and a really sad story behind it. Such a grand entrance and I like all those gold scattered throughout the arch. Thanks for sharing this piece of history.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Iceland’s Golden Circle Photo Tour

13. This is a gorgeous arch. Thanks for telling us about the happy and sad history behind it. Very nice how each side reflects the two separate events.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Toronto Ahoy!

14. Lisa says:

I love seeing the triumphal arches in Europe but I had mistakenly believed that they were all battle-related. How interesting to have one arch that commemorates both a great celebration and a tragic loss. Hopefully we’ll get to Innsbruck some day to see this arch!
    Lisa recently posted..The Village des Bories in Gordes

15. That’s sort of neat that the arch represents both happiness and sorrow… but of course it’s sad that her husband died so unexpectedly. 🙁 I didn’t actually realize was the history was behind these arches, though, so thanks for enlightening me!
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Tulips and Windmills in Holland: A Photo Essay

That’s quite a yin/yang story. Most mothers wouldn’t even celebrate the marriages of their sons much I guess. Good that at least that seemed to have been positive for her.
    Sabrina recently posted..Green Spaces: Houston Arboretum

My son will not be getting an engraved arch when he gets married. That is a sad story. I can’t off the top think of another yin/yang story.
    Leigh recently posted..My Favorite Hike in Boulder, Colorado – Between the Flatirons

18. It’s an impressive arch but how sad for Maria Theresa!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..#TPThursday Bamboo Rafting in Jamaica