July 27, 2017

Europe’s Natural Monuments

While traveling we all visit monuments erected to honor those who have helped shape our history, but sometimes it is the world’s Natural Monuments that leave us speechless.

I am no spelunker but I am intrigued by caves and the underground world created by a Karst landscape.

A Karst is a unique landscape formed by the weathering of water soluble rock like Limestone, Marble and Dolomite. Rain water trickles down through openings in the rock and over time erodes the rock creating passages. Some of the larger passages we know as caves or caverns. Obviously this process takes eons to develop but it is this process that makes the beauty that lies beneath the ground.

Skocjan Caves Slovenia

Skocjan Caves Slovenia by Jabbi

The Karst landscape is identified by a lack of surface streams and a network of openings below the surface. The openings can be sinkholes, disappearing stream, springs and even caves. This fragile ecosystem is home to many plants, bacteria, fish and spiders that flourish in a dark and static world.

Domica Cave near Slovakia and Hungary

Domica Cave by jojo

It is estimated that 10% of the Earth is composed of a Karst landscape and although it is the underground wonders that we are most familiar with, I’m sure you would recognize some of the above ground Karst landscapes too!

El Torcal near Malaga Spain

El Torcal near Malaga Spain by Jakub Botwicz

Karst Landscape Minerve France

Karst Landscape Minerve France by Hugo Soria

Here are a few below the surface natural wonders you might want to visit while wandering through Europe.

Moravian Karst
Moravia is a well known part of the Czech Republic but this natural beauty sits in 120 square kilometers of landscape that includes caves, caverns, underground lakes and rivers. There are 4 caves that are open to the public but the Macocha Gorge is the most famous. The gorge is over 500 feet deep and includes 2 ponds and the Punkva River which runs underground for part of its journey. During your visit to the caves you can explore both on foot and by boat and you will be thrilled by the beauty and serenity of the cave which includes many stalactites and stalagmites. There is even a chair lift to the top of the gorge allowing amazing views across the landscape.

Moravian Karst Czech Republic

Moravian Karst by YuKengShih, on Flickr

Skocjan Caves
These UNESCO listed caves are part of an amazing limestone plateau that is full of stunning caves and tunnels near the tiny village of Skocjan in Slovenia. The landscape has been carved over time by the Reka River which actually disappears underground near Skocjan and reappears 27 miles away. While underground, the river carves through rock leaving behind amazing scenery! Near the exit you will hear the rushing river from below and see the huge Murmuring Cave, which is actually the largest underground canyon.

Škocjan Caves Slovenia by Ramon

Škocjan Caves by Ramon

Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst
Located near the border of Hungary and Slovakia is another UNESCO listed site that is also the most explored Karst area in Europe. To date, there have been 712 caves identified including an Ice cave and one known as the Fairy Tale cave. This area shows both tropical and glacial climatic affects which allows for an even greater variety of wonders! The caves in this area offer a glimpse into evolution, archeology and local cultures. The Baradla-Domica Cave system actually connects Hungary and Slovakia and is home to the world’s highest stalagmites!

Domica Cave near Hungary and Slovakia

Domica Cave by Jojo

All these caves are beautiful, distinctive and breathtaking. Touring them will leave you marveling at these Natural Monuments!

What Natural Monuments do you enjoy?

Comments

1. Myong Tutton says:

They should use drones to catch more amazing videos and photos! Can’t wait to see more

2. Haven’t heard of the places which is a shame.
    Kirsten @ Green Global Travel recently posted..The 10 Most Romantic Places We’ve Ever Stayed

3. Christine says:

This caves look amazing. They kind of remind me of the caves I explored in Mexico.
    Christine recently posted..The Grand Canyon of South Tyrol

Caves are so amazing! It is hard to believe all the beauty Mother Nature provides for us.

4. Born27 says:

What a beautiful caves and landscapes. The scenery is really awesome. Thanks for sharing these stunning photos with us and i’m looking forward on your next post!

5. Wow, this is definitely a different side of Europe many usually don’t venture to. I love caves but haven’t heard much of Karst landscape. These are gorgeous especially the Skocjan caves. Standing on that bridge must be incredible.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Discovering Charming and Quirky Reykjavik, Iceland

6. Christine says:

Beautiful pictures! I would love to visit those caves some day.

7. inka says:

I love caves, stalagmites and stalagtites. You have given me great inspiration to visit some of these fabulous places you wrote about.
    inka recently posted..Upcoming summer trips: Turkey, Oman and Jordan

8. We have karst landscapes here in Jamaica. I’m amazed at these caves and monuments. Just stunning! There’s so much beauty in the world.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Manhattanhenge 2012

9. I hadn’t heard of karst landscapes before my trip to Croatia a couple years ago. I love caves and stalactites/stalagmites too!
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Looking Back at Peru

I never knew what “karst” meant either. I’ve enjoyed touring caves but never really under how or why they were made!

Loved my visit to El Torcal last fall. Also enjoyed a boat ride through caves near Rocamadour in France. It’s amazing what Mother Nature can create!
    I can definitely pass on caving when the spaces get tight. I great adventure book to read on caving is Blind Descent – The Quest to Discover the Deepest Cave by James Tabor.
    Leigh recently posted..Love it or Hate It: The Calgary Stampede Rodeo in Photos

I am continually amazed at Mother Nature too! I haven’t read that book but will look into it.

11. Nice post – I never even thought about visiting sites like these while traveling in Europe (though I’ve visited a few in the States). Really like the first photo!
    Ashley at No Onions Extra Pickles recently posted..Capture the Colour

I don’t think I’ve been in an area in Europe that I knew had these but now that I know more about them I will definitely look for them!

12. Christopher says:

Great post. And I haven’t visited any of these–sadly.

Last year I was fortunate to visit Devil’s Tower, the site used for the alien landing in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It was the first natural monument in the US. A grand experience, but I think these caves in Slovenia must be grander.
    Christopher recently posted..Worst Air Passengers of 2012

13. Marlys says:

I love caves…. as long as I don’t have to go deep into it. hahaha
    Marlys recently posted..The City Of The Future

These look amazing, especially the Skocjan Caves, would love to check these out. Despite living in Munich, it never fails to amaze me of how little of Europe I’ve actually seen.
    Laurel recently posted..South African Wildlife: Beyond the Big 5