May 30, 2017

Roman Trier Germany

When visiting Europe, you expect to run into Roman ruins in Britain, France and, obviously, Rome Italy!  But you might be surprised running into Roman ruins in Germany.

Yes, I said Germany.  Sitting in the lovely valley created by the Moselle River is Trier, Germany’s oldest city.  Founded around 16 BC, Trier has had quite a history including the Roman kind!

Trier and Moselle River Germany

Trier and Moselle River

At one time Trier was the capital of the Western Roman Empire and this included being the residence of the Western Roman Emperor and his son, Constantine the Great.  During this time, Trier was known as the 2nd Rome and it was Constantine that developed the city including the beautiful Imperial Baths.

Roman Imperial Baths Trier Germany

Imperial Baths- Trier are known as the largest outside Rome and were built in 4th century

There is one of the four old Roman gates still standing in Trier, the Porta Nigra.  Built in the 2nd century this city gate is the oldest defensive structure in Germany.

Roman Porta Nigra Trier Germany

Porta Nigra Trier by Berthold Werner

During Roman times, an amphitheater was a clear sign that your city was very important.  The amphitheater in Trier was the site for gladiator fights and animal contests.

Roman Amphitheater Trier Germany

The Roman Amphitheater Trier once seated 25,000 people!

To commemorate their Roman history, Trier hosts Germany’s biggest Roman festival each year.  The Brot und Spiele festival show cases history through actual depictions of gladiator fights at the amphitheater and exhibits of Roman civil and military life at the Imperial Baths.  If you’re in Germany from August 31 through September 2 stop by Trier for some good ole Roman fun!

This is just a glimpse of the Roman history in Trier.  This UNESCO designated city has so much more to see!

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. Jess @UsedYorkCITY says:

How fascinating! I had no idea there was so much Roman influence in Germany! Truly looks beautiful though, especially the old Roman Baths! Would love to visit someday!
    Jess @UsedYorkCITY recently posted..Despaña: A Love Letter from Spain to NYC

When I first read about it years ago, I was surprised too! When you go, don’t forget to travel along the Moselle River wine tasting and enjoying the charming villages.

I love Trier and the Christmas Market is also really good with many streets decorated. I’m fortunate that my husband has a cousin that lives there so I get to visit at least once a year 🙂
    Laurel recently posted..Castell de Montsoriu: The Greatest Gothic Castle in Catalonia

3. Allison says:

I love the photo of the ruins that are all grown over with greenery. I also like that the ruins are integrated into the modern city.
    Allison recently posted..Favorite Photo: North Head Lighthouse

4. Nancie says:

Amazing! I would never have known. I really love that third shot. What an intriguing building.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — July 12, 2012 — A Glimpse of Budapest

5. Karmin says:

I want to come to Germany someday and have a second honeymoon with my husband.. I just hope I can save now and we can come there next year.. Thanks for this!

6. You are totally right Debbie…I definitely don’t equate Germany with Roman ruins…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..The Soundtrack of My Travels

7. Looking at Roman ruins, I always wonder what will be left of our modern society with all the glass buildings going up everywhere.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..No Posts Were Found!

I have wondered the same thing! Will people of the future be as awe struck by our architecture and building materials as we are by those used by artisans of yesterday?

8. The Roman Baths are really neat looking. Thanks for sharing this.
    Lawrence Michaels recently posted..Top Ten Phuket Beaches

The history is very interesting although I’m not sure I understand the hierarchy of the rulers!

9. Marlys says:

Trier is a very charming town. We’ve been there twice, the second time when we went hiking in the Saarland. It’s one of the feeder towns (trails) for the Camino de Santiago.
    Marlys recently posted..A Visit To The Chateau De Fontainebleau

I didn’t know that it was a feeder trail to the Camino de Santiago! Another interesting bit of history.

10. love the things you find and post – like the shapes
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Fascinating Fireworks

11. I love all this fascinating history on the Romans. They sure had an expansive empire throughout the continent. I’ve never heard of Trier so thanks for this tidbit of info. The Porta Nigra looks very impressive for its age and I’m sure even more spectacular in person.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Iceland’s Golden Circle Photo Tour

I wish more people knew about the other wonderful areas of Germany besides the popular tourist areas! There really is a ton to discover and enjoy.

12. Romans in Germany…who knew?! Certainly not me! 🙂 Thanks for the interesting bit of history and gorgeous photos..especially like the one of the Imperial Baths.
    Andi at The Particular Traveler recently posted..A Visit to Singapore’s National Orchid Garden

I think a lot of people are surprised to learn about the Roman history in Germany, I know I was!

13. Fascinating…I think the Romans were everywhere…for every site you visit, there appears to be ancient Roman remains buried far below the land. Stunning pics as usual too my friend!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Seizing the Moments of my Journey with Viking River Cruises

Very true, Jeff! It seems Roman ruins can be found when ever you stick your shovel in the ground.

14. Lisa says:

I don’t think most of us really have any sense of just how expansive the Roman empire was. I know I was quite surprised before our trip to Provence to realize that there were a lot of Roman ruins there and yet I’m surprised again to realize that there are ruins in Germany. I love the photo of the Porta Nigra!
    Lisa recently posted..Paris With Kids? Mais, Bien Sûr

15. Steve says:

I wouldn’t expect much from BC to be standing at all in Germany, considering the number of times they’ve been on the receiving end of heavy artillery. Considering the location, Porta Nigra looks like it’s in pretty decent shape. Even the baths don’t look that run down. Very impressive.
    Steve recently posted..The Suspense of the SunPass

It really is sad how much of Germany has been destroyed by bombs and such! What treasures have we lost due to this?

Looks like a very pretty city – and you’re right about Roman ruins in Germany – guess I don’t know my European history very well.
    Leigh recently posted..Love it or Hate It: The Calgary Stampede Rodeo in Photos

Well you’re not alone! I knew the Romans were in France and England but did I just think they jumped over Germany?

17. Fascinating history. It would be so much fun to visit during the Brot und Spiele festival. Wonder if I can make that happen??
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Featured Museum: The Forgotten Fire

I would like to be there for the Brot und Speile festival too and yes, I think you can make that happen. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

18. Dick Jordan says:

Ah, just learned about yet another place I’d never heard about!
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Stuck on The Great American Summer Road Trip

Dick, I keep learning about so many places I’ve never heard about that my list is getting bigger and bigger!

19. Love the Porta Nigra too! And the amphitheater which is just an echo of what used to be. The Romans have been everywhere for sure.
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..10 Memorable Train Stations in Europe

20. jade says:

I love old Roman ruins- especially love the old with all the grass growing around it! gorgeous!
    jade recently posted..Obstacle Course & Zip-Line at the Alligator Farm

21. Interesting! Roman ruins in Germarny? I would never thought! Funny how these Roman ruins pop out where you don’t expect them to. My husband I and recently got back from a trip in Middle East. We stumbled upon a great Roman ruins in Jordan (Jerash) and a couple of them in Israel (Ceasarea and Beit Shean). I guess I underestimated their powerful expanse. Anyway, Trier looks beautiful. Will check it out when we visit Germany,.
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates recently posted..Santorini: Our Tiny, Skinny Greek Wedding

I was amazed too when I first heard about Trier and its Roman history too! I do recommend visiting Trier.

22. Christine says:

Trier looks like a nice place to visit. I was not aware of the Roman history there. Porta Nigra definitely looks unique.
    Christine recently posted..Things To Do Around Lake Achensee in Austria

I didn’t get to spend very much time in Trier and would love to go back. Of course, I would have to spend time enjoying the Moselle and its wine too!

23. The Porta Nigra is very peculiar – a kind of Lübeck meet Col.osseum

1. […] venture begins with a decision, then a plan. Are you all set to make the decision to alter your free dating sites life for the much better? You better […]

2. […] of neo-Romanesque architecture but its grounds have been sacred for many decades dating back to Roman times. The well preserved Roman Baths were discovered in 1784 and can be explored while the ruins of […]

3. […] visit Wiesbaden Germany including its thermal spas,  casino, glamorous Belle Epoque buildings,  Roman wall, beautiful churches, shopping and lovely parks.  But did you know Wiesbaden also has its own […]