March 29, 2017

Munich – My Olympic Adventure

I don’t know about you but I am really looking forward to watching the Olympics which officially begin this Friday in London England! To honor this auspicious event, I thought I would dig deep into the archives and share some photos of the Munich Olympic grounds.

Olympic Village Munich Bavaria Germany

Olympic Village Munich

Way back in 1982 I took my first trip to Europe and my first stop was the wonderful capital of Bavaria, Munich Germany!  During this trip I decided to visit the Olympic grounds where, in 1972, Munich hosted the 20th and their second Olympic games.

Olympic Diving Pool Munich Bavaria Germany

Olympic Diving Pool Munich

Besides gymnastics, swimming and diving are two of my favorite events at any Olympics and 1972 was no exception!

Olympic Pool Munich Bavaria Germany

Olympic Pool Munich

Of course, I couldn’t miss the pool where the one Olympian that made my heart beat faster swam!  Mark Spitz won a world record 7 medals in a single Olympics in this very pool!  Each of his medals were also earned in World Record times.

Olympic Stadium Munich Bavaria Germany

Olympic Stadium Munich

My love affair with Munich, Bavaria and Germany started on this trip and the Olympic grounds were an enjoyable part of this memorable trip.

Have you visited any Olympic grounds?

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. We went to the Olympics in Athens and checked out the grounds in Sydney. We would love to go again. Brazil?
    Kent @ No Vacation Required recently posted..Try This Vegan Asian Salad

2. Charu says:

Isn’t it wonderful how the Olympic spirit brings everyone together, even long AFTER it’s over? Lovely pictures Debbie. Also noticed how swimming seems to set the record for most number of medals: first Spitz, now Phelps. And both have monosyllabic last names. Hmmm…..
    Charu recently posted..How I Feel About Retouched Photographs

3. Wow…you really know how to generate the comments…everyone loves you!! What a trip down memory lane this was I barely remember the games but your pics of the venues are glorious!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Alessandro Gallenzi Shares His Inspiration for ‘InterRail’

I love Munich’s Olympic grounds. They look so space agey, the summer Tollwood festival is held there and of course there are beer gardens and it’s just a nice place to hang out.
    Laurel recently posted..Cage Diving with Crocs at Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin

5. Steve says:

Probably just as well that you weren’t in Munich 40 years ago Debbie. You might have distracted Mark Spitz and taken his focus off winning gold medals. As a dedicated sports enthusiast…thank you for not messing with history! 🙂
    Steve recently posted..Walking Duval Street in Key West

Oh aren’t you just the nicest person ever! Thanks for making my day and putting a smile on my face 🙂

6. Christine says:

Welcome to Munich! That was a good idea to visit the Olympic Pool in Munich – it is a popular place to go swimming here. They even offer water aerobics and water jogging. They have a lot to offer there, so it is definitely worth a visit.
    Christine recently posted..Lake Königsee: The Clearest Echo, the Cleanest Water, and a Sunken VW Beetle

7. I remember when Mark Spitz was quite the deal! I’m really looking forward to the Olympics, too. I love gymnastics and diving, but my favorite part is the Opening Ceremonies. Thrilling to see all the proud athletes representing their countries.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Wyoming Roundup

I wasn’t blown over by the opening ceremonies but I too enjoy watching the parade of athletes. Most of them looked over joyed to be there! I can’t imagine what an experience this would be.

8. A great idea to get us into the Olympic spirit. I’ve read a few articles in the papers lately in regards to the 40th anniversary of the Munich Olympics and whether this should be acknowledged at the opening of the London Olympics. It’ll be interesting to see what happens
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..What to do in New York

Whether to mention the Munich Olympics is a topic of discussion. I actually decided to leave out the part about the terrorist attack and the people that died. Decided to leave it on a happier note!

9. These structures look very impressive. Thanks for going through your archives and giving us a glimpse of Munich. I always find Olympic venure interesting to visit. We went to Sydney after the 2000 Olympics and recently visited Vancouver after their Winter Olympics. I can imagine the cheers and excitement walking through these places.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Photo Post: Capture the Color

I find them interesting too. I wish I would have taken time to visit the Olympic grounds in Innsbruck last year. No idea why I didn’t 🙂

10. Vi says:

I visited Munich Olympic village 10 years ago and in couple days will going to real Olympics in London. I am so excited 🙂
    Vi recently posted..Sydney whale watching

11. Marlys says:

We had hoped on being to watch at least one game in the London Olympics, but gave up getting tickets online. It always crashed when we went to buy them. Oh, well. We’ll just visit the sites once the excitement and the tourists have gone.
    Marlys recently posted..An Unimpressive Hike In Provins

That would have been fun. I’m just not sure how I would feel about the experience after dealing with all the crowds! Has your son said anything about the crowds in London?

12. I’m not big on sports but there’s a definite buzz in the air after all this waiting and hype. Just hope it goes well for us. London is a beautiful city. Would love to visit Munich as I’ve heard fine things about it too.

It is amazing how the Olympics can make the least sports minded people watch! I highly recommend Munich, one of my favorite cities.

13. We were in Vancouver this past winter and saw a few of the event sites. I LOVE that pool in Munich though. I would be jumping off that diving board more than any kid in line for sure.
    walkingon travels recently posted..Friday Photo Memories – Passed Out On the North Shore of Kauai

14. Dick Jordan says:

Nifty shots. I spent a few days in Munich back in 2009, but didn’t make it to the Olympic venue.
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Wildlife Point-And-Shoot

Even though I had visited these Olympic grounds, I didn’t even think about taking my own children when we were in Munich! Funny because they would have really enjoyed it.

15. Great Olympic blast from the past, Debbie! I also can’t wait for tomorrow when the Games begin. And Mark Spitz…way before my time but SO dreamy 🙂
    Andi at The Particular Traveler recently posted..Hotel Review: Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, Mazatlan, Mexico

I don’t think I have ever seen an Olympic Village – and this one is in my home country no less. I really enjoyed the tour. I’m not really that much into watching sports, but your enthusiasm makes me want to pick an event or two and follow it closely!
    Sabrina recently posted..Texas Weekend Getaway: Galveston & The Strand

I have watched sports since I was a very young girl, thanks to my dad! Now days I don’t watch as much but I do enjoy the Olympics.

17. Thanks, Debbie. Great way of getting us into the mood, Debbie. I must admit, it’d be lovely to go to an Olympic Games, but I know t wouldn’t be able to handle the crowds. I love the excitement of it all though. I’ll be watching tomorrow.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..New York City: Library Way

I agree with you! We didn’t even go to the Olympics when they were in Los Angeles even though we were living in Southern California at the time.

18. I’ve been to Munich twice and never even thought about visiting the grounds–are they still open today?
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Photo of the Week: Alpe Di Siusi

19. I love that diving pool! I recently visited my first Olympic grounds in Sarajevo, Bosnia…home to the 1984 Winter Olympics!
    Jess @UsedYorkCity recently posted..The Perfect Bosnian Bed & Breakfast: Mostar’s Muslibegovic House

I remember those Olympics too! One of the best things about the Olympics is learning about the host country and city.

20. Jackie Smith says:

Debbie, What a great idea to travel down the Olympics Memory Lane. A fun post and some great photos.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: Do you ‘Capture the Colours’ or Clichés?

I actually had forgotten that I had those pictures, so it was fun for me too going back through the memories!

We had the Olympics in Vancouver recently and the buzz in the city was palpable and wonderful. I’d go again though I do love watching on TV so you can get the reruns of victories.
    Leigh recently posted..Hiking the Spectacular Iceline Trail near Field, BC

I’ve never been to an Olympics and I’m not sure I really want to face all those crowds. I do think it would be fun to watch an event in person, though!

More into watching winter Olympic sports myself, so I’ll stay well clear of London for the next few weeks. Realize I’m in the minority, though 🙂
    Sophie recently posted..Family Fun in Carinthia

I do like the summer Olympics but I don’t think I’ll be stepping near London for a few weeks!

1. […] Germany you must put it on your list for this year.  Make sure to cover the touristy areas such as Munich, Ludwig’s Castles and the Rhine River but also leave time to explore the country’s lesser known […]