July 27, 2017

A Little Friday Fun in Freiburg Germany

Welcome to Sunny Freiburg! Freiburg is the sunniest and warmest city in Germany, right?

Well not today!!

It rained. . . make that poured!More Rainy Freiburg Germany

So what to do when the weather isn’t cooperating?  This is what I did!

What would be better than soup on a cold blustery day? Not much. The beer was pretty good too 🙂Beer and Soup in Freiburg Germany

Then there was the famous grilled sausage with onions. I was told I had to have this and I always follow orders!Freiburg Sausage and onions in Freiburg Germany

I topped off the afternoon with a little cake and coffee. Hey I’m in Freiburg so I had to go with the Schwartzwald Kirsche Kuchen, right??!Cake and Coffee in Freiburg Germany

I really didn’t eat my way through Freiburg but those stories will have to wait till later. I’m on my way out to taste a little wine 🙂

What do you do when weather interferes with your travels?

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people with the Freiburg Tourist Office!

Comments

1. Within the top ten of the favorite posts, thanks!
    sepura earpiece recently posted..sepura earpiece

2. Lovely site, it loads really quick and appears very cool.
    how do they work recently posted..how do they work

3. Everything looks so delicious! I’m based in Korea these days and there simply isn’t good quality cakes here; although the local food is delicious in other ways.
    Nomadic Samuel recently posted..Garbage bags on Kampung Ayer Water Stilt | Brunei | Travel Photo

4. My Mother used to make Schwartzwald Kirsche Kuchen for my Birthday in Switzerland. I miss it…it has always been my favorite!
    Priscilla Mtizwa recently posted..BCBG Max Azria Spring 2013

5. Ayngelina says:

Sometimes I like rainy weather because it gives you an excuse to just relax – well and eat a gigantic sausage!
    Ayngelina recently posted..Visiting the 911 Memorial

Haha! That’s a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Kuchen=cake; Torte=more cream, etc.). And it looks delicious in your picture. My grandma makes a mean one and it’s been waaaaay too long since I’ve had Kaffee und Kuchen with her (coffee and cake – very German tradition I think). Sorry you got rained out though.
    Sabrina recently posted..Capture The Seasons Across The World

Yes it is a Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte and it was delicious! I got very used to Keffee und Kuchen during by two week stay in Germany 🙂

7. robin says:

Rain really is the perfect excuse…
    robin recently posted..Bears and/or Bean Stew

8. Cafes for sure! I like to settle down with a coffee and something tasty to eat, and then just watch out of the window or curl up with a book. If I’m in a hostel or hotel when the weather hits, I’ll snuggle up and watch some funny shows on my computer, or have a good laugh at the local television. The Turkish version of Come Dine With Me was pretty amazing – the contestants were brutal.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Seoul Grand Park

That is exactly the way I like to spend the day if I’m at home! It does sound good which means I may be ready for winter and rainy days to come.

Looks like you’ve figured outhow to have a good time rain or not. The food looks delicious.
    Leigh recently posted..Kayaking Calgary’s Glenmore Reservoir

10. Wow, that sausage scares me. This reminds me of my first two trips to Southern California, when it was cold and rainy both times. Sometimes the sun just won’t cooperate!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Butter sculptures, fried Spam and spaghetti on a stick: Scenes from the Minnesota State Fair

11. I am loving those larger-than-life servings!! WOW!! That sausage and slice of heavenly cake makes we want to spend a rainy day there too!! Well, you certainly made the best of it!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Capturing the Colors of Europe from Amsterdam to Venice

They both were very good! I actually didn’t mind the rain. I think I’d rather have some rain than very hot weather.

12. inka says:

I went to university in Freiburg and yes, we survived on that sausage beautifully. Will you climb up to the Münster tower???
    inka recently posted..A home from home at the Crowne Plaza/Muscat

I can imagine college students would flock to the market. It seems reasonably priced. I did climb the tower too . . . well most of the way. Beautiful views.

13. Jennifer says:

Great pictures, great food! Lived in Freiburg in 2006 and must say it’s just awesome. You should have tried the Freiburger Bier 😉
    Jennifer recently posted..Les petits plaisirs de la vie de voyageur

14. Steve says:

I hardly ever enter blog giveaways, but if you were to have one for that piece of cake I’d probably be on here day and night generating entries. Possibly the same if you gave away the beer.
    Looking forward to following you through more of Germany!
    Steve recently posted..The Rental Roundup

15. I usually save my museum visits for rainy days, Debbie. Can’t abide being indoors when the sun’s shining!
    Johanna Bradley recently posted..Six word Saturday

16. Margaret says:

I just want a whole suitcase of that cake!
    Margaret recently posted..Mallorca in blue

17. Marlys says:

You are so right about having that Blackforest cake. Yum! But I must say, I couldn’t publish a photo of a bratwurst that way. *blush*
    Marlys recently posted..Living Life The French Riviera Way

1. […] I was in sunny Freiburg Germany, it rained. So I decided to visit this museum as a way to escape the rain for a […]

2. […] my foray into the cuisine in Freiburg started off simply with soup and beer, I continued searching for culinary traditions that Freiburg is known for. You really can’t start […]

3. […] where we meet the real Freiburg and since, in my opinion,  walking is the best way to experience Freiburg I’m sharing a few of the wonderful things I saw while wandering the streets its […]