July 27, 2017

First Impressions of Mainz

I’ve left a rainy Freiburg and have arrived in Mainz!

Glad to have left the rain behind, I wandered the Old Town, visited the Cathedral and roamed a very nice Wine Festival.

This is a little of what I saw.

Started off with a little lunch. . . yup I’m eating again:)Carrot Soup Mainz Germany

The Old Town was crawling with people for the Saturday market.  It was full of fresh produce, food and wine!  What a great way to spend an afternoon.Market in Mainz Germany

St. Martin’s Cathedral dominates Mainz and rises up from the market.  This Romanesque and Gothic structure is big and beautiful.
St. Martin's Cathedral Mainz GermanyInside St. Martin's Cathedral Mainz Germany

Mainz is one of the main wine centers in Germany so it is fitting they would host a wonderful Wine Festival.  The Festival is held in a lovely park, Stadtpark, and is a place where young and old come together to enjoy wine (maybe not the real young) and the outdoors.Wine Festival Mainz Germany

Well I’m off to spend the day exploring more of Mainz!

Have you been to Mainz? What were your first impressions?

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people with the Mainz Tourist Office!

Comments

1. How wonderful! Of course you have to fuel the body for all that sightseeing so no feeling guilty about eating. St. Martin’s Cathedral looks like a wonderful place to explore! Spectacular images as usual my friend!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Alessandro Gallenzi Shares His Inspiration for ‘InterRail’

I’ve been near Mainz, but have never actually stopped there. Looks like I should next time and I like the look of your lunch.
    Laurel recently posted..Kayaking with Crocs in Katherine Gorge

I really enjoyed Mainz. The old city center is very beautiful especially on Sunday when there weren’t so many people around!

3. Steve says:

If you need a lunch companion, I’m free for the rest of the week!
    Steve recently posted..TripAdvisor’s Strangest Complaints

4. Perfect, Debbie!
    I could taste the soup and, of course, the wine in the first shot.
    Love the cathedral too. Mainz has all the things you’d expect from a European town – good food, wine and cathedrals. Mainz’s my kinda place — and it’s so close to my name!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..How to Eat a Jamaican Patty

5. Of course you had me with the very first picture!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..$250 Fairfield by Marriott Gift Card Giveaway

I’m sure you’re referencing the wine, which was exceptional! We need to import some of the fantastic wine in this region. It is wonderful!

6. Denise L says:

We stayed in Mainz last November when visiting the Christmas Markets in that area. The Mainz Christmas Market was one of our favorites – it was located in the square next to St. Martin’s Cathedral. We spent hours wandering around Mainz drinking warm gluhwein and sampling all the goodies in the food stands. I’d like to return in warmer weather too.

The Christmas Markets are something I would love to come back to Germany for! In fact, I think Mainz would be a great stop as would Erfurt. Their market must be beautiful sitting below the amazing church.

7. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. The cathedral looks beautiful! Great timing with the wine festival. Hope you had more food and wine during your exploration of Mainz.

8. Marlys says:

Oh, lucky you, right in time for a German Wine Festival. Isn’t Germany great?
    Marlys recently posted..Beaches And Billionaires

Oh yes, I do love Germany! The wine was very good and different than the type of German wine I can get back home.

9. Frau Dietz says:

Is that a pumpkin soup? Looks delicious! Glad you had a lovely time. Next time pop over to Wiesbaden and say hi 🙂
    Frau Dietz recently posted..Frau Dietz Eats: white asparagus with hollandaise sauce

10. You’ve just described a perfect afternoon in a new place for me– visit a beautiful cathedral, stroll through the old town, and enjoy a nice lunch. Mainz looks lovely!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Discover the Canary Isles in Tenerife

The wonderful thing about Europe is that you walk and walk and walk so you can continue to enjoy all the great food and wine.
    Leigh recently posted..A Gorgeous Alberta Hike: Lineham Ridge in Waterton Lakes NP

1. […] Sunday Stroll first meeting the man himself, Johannes Gutenberg.  This is also where I enjoyed a lovely glass of wine and amazing carrot soup the day […]

2. […] its time for dinner in Mainz which ended up being one of my favorite of the entire trip. Weinstube Hottum is one of the oldest […]