February 23, 2018

The “Other” Brandenburg Gate

Don’t you hate it when your younger sibling gets all the attention?  Well this is the case with the “other” Brandenburg Gate.

I bet you didn’t even know Germany had two Brandenburg Gates, did you?  Not only are there two but the gate in Potsdam is the older sibling to the better known Brandenburg gate in Berlin.

Potsdam Germany Brandenburg Gate with Fountain

There used to be a field here instead of fountain hence Country Side!

Yes, Potsdam’s Brandenburg Gate was built in 1770 which makes it about 20 years older than its sibling sitting in Berlin.  The Brandenburger Tor or Brandenburg Gate in Potsdam was ordered by Frederick II of Prussia as a symbol of his victory over the Austrians during the Seven Year’s War.

Brandenburg Gate Potsdam Germany City Side

City Side

Both Brandenburg Gates lead to the town of Brandenburg which was the old home to the Brandenburg and Prussian kingdoms.  The Potsdam gate was actually built by two different architects; one was the teacher and the other his pupil, which explains why the two sides are different!

Potsdam Germany Brandenburg Gate Country Side

Country Side

The Baroque beauty does resemble a Roman Triumphal Arch and well it should since it was modeled after the Arch of Constantine in Rome!

It is a grand Triumphal Arch, don’t you think?

I’m sharing these photos as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people with the Potsdam Tourist Office for showing me around their beautiful city! For more information please contact either organization or visit their websites.

Comments

1. Dixie Prayer says:

I look forward to reading your response and appreciate your kind words. I just read over your first post, well-done. specifically with regard to sports physiotherapy Now that I’ve been following you for awhile I can see that what you’ve been writing is exactly what you set out to do.

2. Georg says:

Actually thats not quite correct – there are in fact 3 Brandenburg Gates! They built a Brandenburg Gate in 1657 in what was once known as Königsberg (now Kaliningrad), though the original gate was significantly altered in the 1860s. Its one of the few Prussian Historic monuments in the city which survived the War/Soviet Union. Before restoration efforts were made it actually housed a frame shop.
    Georg recently posted..Papiermühle Wolfswinkel

3. I was looking at your pictures trying to decide which side I preferred. Both are beautiful, so it’s a toss up. Thanks for the education.
    Michele @ Malaysian Meanders recently posted..The Street of Religious Harmony

4. Charu says:

I had no clue! Is this like the “other Eiffel tower” in Paris too? Nice find, Debbie.
    Charu recently posted..Ways that Social Media Is Changing the World

5. Nancie says:

I vaguely remember seeing one of them when I was in Berlin too many years ago to even remember! Now I need to get back to have a look at both. I love all the details.
    Nancie recently posted..Naked and Muddy at Daecheon Beach — A Review

Interesting post, Debbie. I’ve been in Potsdam but never saw its Brandenburger Tor (business trip, no time for exploring, hate those…).

Younger brother or not, though, little wonder the one in Berlin gets more attention – it was a symbol of the divide between two worlds for so many years. I was there only two days ago (at the one in Berlin that is), and it was strange (almost sentimentally so) remembering that last time I was at Brandenburger Tor there was a sign practically on the gate saying “Achtung! Sie verlassen jetzt West-Berlin!”
    Sophie recently posted..Gaudi’s Parc Güell: a photo story

Very true Sophie. Maybe even more a symbol was the actual wall which didn’t stop at the border of Berlin but carried on into Potsdam. There is so much history in the area and its a shame travelers don’t seem to venture past the borders of Berlin.

7. I didn’t know there were two Brandenburg Gates either! The one in Berlin is glorious but this also has it’s charm – simple decoration and lovely small side arches in comparison to the inner grand one.

I’m a twin so I understand sibling rivalry hehe 😉
    Shing @ The Culture Map recently posted..FLOATING IN THE DEAD SEA

This was new to me too! I haven’t been to Berlin but know I will make it someday and won’t miss seeing the Brandenburg Gate.

8. Steve says:

I think it’s kind of cool that they celebrated victories by building giant monuments. Even if it is a bit of a schizophrenic piece of architecture. Next time I beat my kids at Pac Man, I’m building a giant gate to celebrate too.
    Steve recently posted..Could You Travel With Us?

9. At first glance, I knew there was something familiar with the arch. I’ve only seen the Arch of Constantine in Rome so i can’t compare to the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. How interesting to have two architects. Beautiful whichever side you’re looking at.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Climbing Copenhagen’s Church of Our Saviour Spire

It is a beautiful gate! I found the two architects interesting too and wonder why they decided to go in that direction.

10. Well I never!…I had no idea there were two gates. I need to come and see both! Which side did the teacher do!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..The Oldest Outdoor Theatre in the World

The teacher designed the city side! I’ve never seen the Brandenburg gate in Berlin, so another trip to the area is needed.

11. Lisa says:

Beautiful photos! I had no idea that there were two Brandenburg gates – now I don’t have any choice but to visit both and compare!
    Lisa recently posted..Standing on the Edge of North America at Cape Spear

I agree, a trip to both is definitely needed! Plus Potsdam and Berlin are so close to each other it would be a shame to miss visiting both.

12. Lisa says:

Love this, I feel like I fell off the loop for the last two months moving and adjusting. Though I love it here.
    Lisa recently posted..The Beauty of Night Time in Budapest

Welcome back Lisa! Its hard at times to balance all that life throws at us, isn’t it? Good to hear you like it 🙂

I have learned something new today. It is a grand arch and nice comparison with siblings. That always puts things in perspective.
    Leigh recently posted..#TPThursday – Yoho National Park’s Natural Bridge