March 29, 2017

Beer & Gossiping during Medieval Times!

While visiting Erfurt Germany I was struck by a few accoutrements on the medieval buildings that still adorn the streets of this Thüringen city.  For Travel Photo Thursday I’m sharing two interesting medieval architectural features.

Back in the day brewing rights were given to certain buildings in the city.  In fact, during the 16th century there were more than 600 small breweries in Erfurt!

Beer Sign Erfurt Germany

Fresh beer is sold here today!

With so many breweries, it makes sense they would limit the days each brewer could sell beer.  To alert the citizens of Erfurt that fresh beer was available the brewer would place a small bundle of straw in an opening on the front of the building (look above the window to the  right of the door).

Gossip Seats on Medieval buildings Erfurt Germany

Or maybe the very first smoking area!

The next architectural addition to the façades of medieval buildings that I found very interesting was the “Klatschstein” or so called gossip seats. Look closely and you’ll see two nooks on either side of the front door.  This is where citizens or merchants could sit and gossip about the folks passing by!  Was this the start of the Enquirer?

Gossip and Beer Erfurt Germany

Gossip while drinking beer!

What interesting architectural features
have you seen during your travels?

These photo’s are part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people at the Erfurt Tourist Office!  For more information please contact either organization or visit their websites.  Even though my trip was paid for by these organizations, all opinions are my own.

Comments

1. If you wish for to increase your familiarity simply keep visiting this web site and be updated with the hottest
    gossip posted here.
    spilleautomater spål recently posted..spilleautomater spål

2. Georgetta says:

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d
    like to shoot you an email. I’ve got some ideas for your blog
    you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward
    to seeing it improve over time.
    Georgetta recently posted..Georgetta

3. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, yet
    I never found any interesting article like yours. It is
    pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will
    be much more useful than ever before.
    google adwords tool recently posted..google adwords tool

4. Denise says:

haha I love the idea of the gossip seats!

5. 600 breweries is a lot for a town of any size! The gossip seats are a very cool. Very possibly the beginning of the Enquirer. 🙂
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Featured Museum: A Dalinian Experience

6. I love those architectural details on the buildings. That is a lot of breweries and must have made for a very happy and beer smelling town. I never would have figured those as gossip seats passing by. I would have thought they were plant stands 🙂 It’s a great way to people watch though.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Las Vegas with Kids: 5 Free and Fun Attractions on the Strip

7. Dick Jordan says:

Interesting bit of history nicely illustrated with your photos.

8. Always fun to find bits of history like this…especially when it involves beer:)
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..A Day Trip From Napa To Sonoma County

9. I love how European cultures preserve their storied pasts and continue the time-honored traditions such as the straw bundles you mention above. What a fascinating insight into the history of Erfurt! Beautiful pics as always my friend!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Alessandro Gallenzi Shares His Inspiration for ‘InterRail’

10. jade says:

I love the rounded doors and flowers in the windows. Barcelona and London both have beautiful design elements on their windows. Great shots!
    jade recently posted..Backyard Farm to Table Wine Makers Dinner in San Luis Obispo

11. Nancie says:

Beautiful shots Debbie. Very interesting; I had no idea.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — October 11, 2012 — A Bangkok Moment

12. Wow, I can’t imagine so many breweries in one place. They must have been drinking beer for water!
    I love the details on those medieval buildings. Lovely finds, Debbie!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Devon House Jamaica

13. icoSnap says:

Such beautiful medieval architectural buildings 🙂
    icoSnap recently posted..Oktoberfest 2012 in Munich Bavaria – first day

14. Lynne says:

Interesting – I’ ve got to pay more attention…
    Lynne recently posted..Keeps the Doctor Away

Those are two architectural features I’ve never heard of. It’s hard to imagine how much beer must have been consumed with 600 breweries in business!
    Leigh recently posted..A Surprisingly Delightful Visit to Dinosaur Provincial Park

The beer was better than the water! That is a lot of breweries which is why they didn’t let them all sell on the same day.

16. Muza-chan says:

I love medieval towns!
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day: Egoist – Planetes

17. I guess microbreweries were the only way to go back then. I think I would have always been sitting in one of those gossip seats. Glad you pointed them out. I would have never guessed that it was someplace to sit.
    Michele @ Malaysian Meanders recently posted..Long Term World Travel Inspiration for Families

18. How cute! I wonder if those seats were always occupied!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Colourful Camogli

1. […] the Middle Ages, Erfurt was a popular city on the trade route because of the ease in crossing the river. In fact, that is […]