July 28, 2017

Wiesbaden – That Second Look!

A short distance from Frankfurt International Airport is lovely Wiesbaden, the capital of the German Federal state of Hessen.  If you’re not familiar with Wiesbaden, I am a little surprised because there has been a settlement here since Neolithic times and records date a Roman fort back to 6 AD which means Wiesbaden has been around a very long time!

Initially drawn to Wiesbaden for the thermal spas, this city along the Rhine later became popular with Kaiser Wilhelm II when it became known as his summer residence.  Prussian and other nobles along with wealthy business people were lured to Wiesbaden too.  Today the remnant of this wealth can be seen in the many villas lining the streets and the upscale shopping along Wilhelmstrasse.Villa Clementine Wiesbaden Germany

I have been to Wiesbaden before and recently had the chance to give Wiesbaden a 2nd look. I was able to revisit the lovely Kurhaus.  This beautiful building still maintains the glamorous style of the Belle Époque and is home to many performances and the city’s Casino.Kurhaus Wiesbaden Germany

There are still remnants of the thermal water which originally drew people to this location. You can actually drink the water, which I did, but I don’t think it tastes very good.  At one time there were 26 hot springs in Wiesbaden but today only 14 still flow.Thermal Water of Wiesbaden Germany

The parks are absolutely beautiful!  I can see why so many people spend time just lounging in the shade.Park in Wiesbaden Germany

The Heathens Wall is the oldest remaining structure in Wiesbaden dating back to Roman times! And its right down the street from a little bakery whose macarons will shame Ladurée!  Sorry Ladurée buts it’s true. I highly recommend stopping by L‘Art Sucre.  Try the caramel macaron, you won’t be disappointed!Heathen Wall Wiesbaden Germany

The streets and squares of Wiesbaden abound with cafes, restaurants, history and amazing shopping. Wandering the streets will lead you past the City Palace, churches, many monuments dedicated to those who are important in Wiesbaden’s history, old markets and surprises galore!Lampost and Church Wiesbaden Germany

Yes Wiesbaden is very definitely worth a stop.  But before you leave don’t miss seeing the World’s Largest Cuckoo Clock!Worlds Largest Cuckoo Clock Wiesbaden Germany

These photo’s are part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people at the Wiesbaden Tourist Office!  For more information please contact either organization or visit their websites.  Even though my trip was paid for by these organizations, all opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Many thanks for the great short article, I was searching for details like this, visiting visit the various other articles.

2. Thanks for the good short article, I was looking for specifics such as this, going to visit the various other posts.

3. bing.com says:

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any
    problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog
    has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it appears
    a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization.
    Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being ripped off?

I’d truly appreciate it.
    bing.com recently posted..bing.com

4. Germany has a special interests for me and I agree, the parks are fabulously romantic and beautiful. I love the structures of their edifices.
    Wends of Journeys and Travels recently posted..2012 Top Awesome Travel Destinations by Travel Bloggers

5. I really like the Belle Epoque style of the Kurhaus. Add in macarons anf the gigantic cuckoo clock, and I’m intrigued. Thanks for introducing me to a new place.
    Michele | Malaysian Meanders recently posted..Penang’s Loy Krathong Festival plus bonus bloopers

6. Steve says:

OK, that is one really impressive looking clock, but it’s absolutely huge! Does Big Bird come out when it goes off every hour? I should ask too…Why are you drinking the thermal water?
    Steve recently posted..Friends of MKTS – Suitcases and Sippy Cups

7. Not a place I was familiar with – it looks lovely!
    cindy@thetravelgal recently posted..Photo Thursday: The Sea Pearl

Wiesbaden is not on the normal tourist track which is a shame! Its in a great location – middle of wine region, on the Rhine- and its easy to get to even from the airport.

8. jan says:

I would love to lay in the park with a magazine, or have a picnic lunch with budget hubby, after a bit of sight seeing of course!
    jan recently posted..Mass in the Mosque

9. Nancie says:

I love tha cuckoo clock, and I am always up for a spa!
    Nancie recently posted..#TPThursday– November 29, 2012– Day Tripping to Korea’s Daecheon Beach

Would Wiesbaden be OK as a day trip from the Frankfurt airport if you were waiting for flights. It sounds like a lovely place and somehow having a soak between flights sounds really nice. And a macaron or two,
    Leigh recently posted..A Visit to Sudbury’s Science North is Not Just for Kids

Wiesbaden is about a 30-40 minute train ride from the airport so it would be a great place for a long layover or for a night or 2 on either end of a trip!

11. jade says:

Love all the detailed shots you took. I need to remember to do this when I go somewhere as grand as this. I always just take the big far away shot and really like your closer ones too.
    jade recently posted..Dreaming of Mexico Despite Travel Advisory Warnings

12. I saw the antlers before I saw the clock. Is the deer one of their national icons?

That is some Villa (Clementine)! I thought it was a municipal building. Wiesbaden is quite beautiful, Debbie. I can see why you’d want a second, and third look.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Entrances & Doors

I don’t think the antlers are a national icon. They do eat a fair amount of game in Germany and the hunter feel is on a lot of cuckoo clocks.

13. Jackie Smith says:

Love the clock in particular! Will definitely make note of this place for the next time we head to Europe.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: A Vermilion Vignette

14. I haven’t been to Wiesbaden yet but hopefully when I get back to Europe I can have another chance of visiting all these nice cities in Germany that you’re writing about. That cuckoo clock is huge!
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..Yee Peng/Loy Krathong, the Floating Lantern Festival of Chiang Mai

It is really big. I’m not too sure how the citizens of Wiesbaden feel about it but that clock does draw a lot of tourists!

15. Caitlyn says:

Looks beautiful! Ashamed to say that I’ve never heard of the place before, but it’s like that for me with so many German cities… the red church looks gorgeous 🙂
    Caitlyn recently posted..Remember that time when we didn’t go to the Airborne Museum?

16. Marlys says:

Our love-affair with Germany continues. <3
    Marlys recently posted..An Autumn Walk

17. Muza-chan says:

Beautiful place to visit 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day: SKE48 – Okie Dokie

18. That cuckoo clock is just too awesome! Wiesbaden looks like the kind of town I can get lost in for days. Love how charming it looks, its parks, all that architecture and hot springs. Plus, you had me at better than Laduree macarons? i suddenly have a craving for macarons 🙂 Beautiful pictures, Debbie!
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Beach Break at Cozumel’s Chankanaab National Park

Oh I can still taste those macarons! I brought some home and took delight watching the expressions on my families face as they tasted them. We all agreed, they were to die for!