September 25, 2017

A German Tradition I Love!

When it comes to food, some people prefer savory flavors and others move more towards the sweet side. Although I haven’t written many posts about food, looking back there is one thing missing in my food posts – dessert!  While I’ve talked about the Goulash Soup or the Schnitzel I love, I’ve really not talked much about sweets.  To be honest, most of the time I’d rather have another glass of wine than dessert 🙂

You see, I’m a savory kind of gal!

Now this doesn’t mean I don’t like sweets, oh no! In fact there are times when that is all I want and that leads me to the point of this post.

During my last trip to Germany I noticed people enjoying sweets every afternoon.  It didn’t matter which city I was in or the day of the week, every afternoon cafes were full of people enjoying Kaffee und Kuchen or Coffee and Cake!

So when in Rome. . .

Can you think of a better way to wait out the rain than enjoy wonderful Kaffee und Kuchen? Café Schmidt is well known in Freiburg and since I was in the Black Forest I opted for the Black Forest Cake 🙂

Black Forest Cake Freiburg Germany

Thank goodness my feet were tired in Rostock! This meant I had to have a wonderful piece of Apfel Strudel so I could rest, right?Apfel Studel Rostock Germany

I love traditions, so while in Wiesbaden I had to stop at famous Café Maldaner, a Viennese style coffee house that has been in Wiesbaden since 1859.Kuchen in Wiesbaden GermanyCafe Maldaner Weisbaden Germany

Although I thoroughly enjoyed having my afternoon Kaffee and Kuchen, my experience with sweets didn’t stop with cake.  No sir!  I’ve already told you about the super delicious macarons I found in Wiesbaden but while in Erfurt I was introduced to a wonderful small shop that makes its own chocolateGoldhelm Schokolade is on the Krämerbrücke and is famous for its thick and rich hot chocolate! I do highly recommend a stop as the hot chocolate is A-mazing but if you prefer ice cream theirs is to die for!Goldhelm Schokolade Erfurt Germany

Are you a savory or sweet person?

These photo’s are part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. I’ll right away clutch your rss feed as I can’t to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.|

2. Donna Hull says:

My husband and I were in Germany in early December. We enjoyed apple cake and coffee on a Heidelberg cafe. Was it just our imagination or do German bakers use less sugar? Anyway, that’s how we justified our piece of cake.
    Donna Hull recently posted..Saturday’s scene: Celebrate Winter Trails Day

Funny but now that you mention it I do remember the “sweets” not being so sweet! I love your justification 🙂

3. You had me at Goulash soup 😀 I am German after all.
    Christina (Jandal Road) recently posted..Christchurch after the earthquake: a photo journey

4. Oh it’s been way too long since I had Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte! My favorite! Delicious post 🙂

I’ll have the Black Forest cake, please. And a trip to Freiburg 🙂
    Sophie recently posted..Sunday scenes from down under: Auckland Harbour Bridge

I’m with you! Black Forest cake sounds wonderful right now and a trip to Freiburg would always be grand.

6. Delicious post, Debbie. When I’m traveling in Europe, I have a hard time resisting desserts — even though at home I have a fair amount of willpower. I’ve got to check out your goulash soup article — that was my favorite dish on my last trip.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Sleigh Bells Ring in Europe

7. Please send me an Apfel Strudel and a Schokolade please. One thing that is in short supply in Malaysia is desserts that I like. My taste definitely runs towards the European style sweets. I’d say this post is making me hungry, but I have a slice of homemade orange pound cake waiting for me.
    Michele @ Malaysian Meanders recently posted..The Trouble with Travel Plans

8. I like savory AND sweet! This is the season I also get to enjoy another wonderful (and sweet) German tradition…. I’m posting about it on Monday, and I think you’ll enjoy… and can teach me a thing or two 🙂

9. Yummy! Another food post at this late hour is making my stomach hurt. These look so delicious and gives me hope when I finally go to Germany this summer 🙂 Yay, I finally get to see Bavaria and will be going through so many of your posts for research. I’m definitely a sweets person and even better with chocolate. Did you eat all the macarons before you could take a picture? 🙂
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..San Juan, Puerto Rico with Kids: 5 Free Attractions

10. I just notice Leigh’s remark. Leigh–always happy to help out a friend. Send me any chocolate you get that you don’t want!
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Peace on Earth

11. Sorry, I have to make this brief, because I have to go make myself a cup of hot chocolate–mitt schlag!
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Peace on Earth

12. jade says:

I am a total sweets girl. I can eat sweets anytime of the day or night. I actually have to stop myself sometimes- ha!
    jade recently posted..Twin Falls Maui: Exploring the Road to Hana

13. Oh My Gosh, Debbie, this post has me salivating!
    I’m pretty picky about desserts — I usually go for fruits — but that strudel is so tempting, I’d have to give it a try.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..New York City at Christmas

14. Sweet and savoury for me – I hate to miss out! The black forest cake looks absolutely scrumptious as do the other cakes…. I couldn’t say no to any of them.
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..2012: A Feast of Travel!

15. Jackie Smith says:

You killed me with this one. I’ve been munching peanuts for an hour to avoid any chance of eating chocolate and wham- there it was in the first photo. I’d write more but I am heading to the kitchen right now. . .
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Aboard The Southbound Polar Express

16. budget jan says:

Traditionally I am a savoury girl – wine and cheese, or beer and chips for me. But recently my husband has given up alcohol and is way into coffee and sweets, so I have taken that up as well. Now I am a bit of each kind of girl, it depends on the occasion. I like all three of your food photos. The Strudel would top the bill though. Yum. You definitely needed to rest your feet on that occasion.
    budget jan recently posted..An interview with Gumtree Farmstay host in Oamaru, New Zealand

17. Aryn says:

I’m also a savory person but those look great. I think one of my favorite parts of traveling is experiencing country’s through taste!

Aryn
    Driftwood and Daydreams
    Aryn recently posted..Milan, Italy

Couldn’t agree with you more! I always try to enjoy a country’s food and drink where ever I am. Sometimes that means just the drink 🙂

18. Lane says:

Got it. When in Germany, loosen thy belt.
    Lane recently posted..Breckenridge: In Several Bottles

I’m a sweets person – but not a chocolate fan. The apple strudel would have my name on it.
    Leigh recently posted..Travel Adventures: A Bus Ride Like No Other, Lions Included

20. Shalu Sharma says:

I think if you put me near any of those cakes and coffee, then it will be very hard for me not to eat it. They look absolutely fabulous. The top photo of Kaffee und Kuchen is amazing.
    Shalu Sharma recently posted..Funny Indian pictures

And the Black Forest cake was amazing! In fact, all the cakes were very good. Its a shame we don’t have a tradition like this in the states. . . or is it??

1. […] the ultimate cure-all: CAKE. And not just any cake… Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte! (Photo credit europeantravelista.com) Eaten right here in the region of the Schwarzwald!!! (Photo credit to […]