November 25, 2017

Alexandrowka – Potsdam’s Russian Colony

Knowing a little of Germany’s history with Russia, there was one neighborhood in Potsdam I was a bit surprised to find!Russian Colony Potsdam Germany

In the northern corner of Potsdam sits an unusual neighborhood, Alexandrowka. This Russian colony was built by Frederick Wilhelm III from 1826-27 to honor his great friendship with Czar Alexander I.Russian Colony Potsdam Germany

The 13 wooden houses in Alexandrowka and the Russian Orthodox Church sitting on nearby Kapellenberg hill are all built in the Russian style.Russian Church Potsdam Germany

In 1999, the Alexandrowka colony became a member of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.Russian Colony side yard Potsdam Germany

Today, the peaceful Russian Colony is home a few descendants of the original inhabitants and is still full of orchards. Time your visit right and you could enjoy a wonderful Apple strudel for your afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen 🙂Orchard Russian Colony Potsdam Germany

Would you be surprised to know this Russian Colony is in Germany?

These photo’s are part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. Definitely consider that that you stated. Your favorite
    justification seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to bear in mind of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked even as other people consider issues
    that they just do not know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the
    top and also outlined out the entire thing with no need side effect , other people can take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks
    http://www.geburtstagsgedichte365.com/ recently posted..http://www.geburtstagsgedichte365.com/

2. Johanna at ZigaZag says:

Wow that’s so interesting. And no I would
    never have guessed that it’s in Germany. It also looks very chocolate box pretty.
    By the way, thank you for commenting at Zigazag recently. For some reason my filter system has been over zealous over Xmas, but all good now. Please pop back soon, as I shall to you.
    Johanna at ZigaZag recently posted..Wineries in the Geographe Wine Region. Here’s a hidden gem likely to blow your socks off.

They reminded me of log cabins but with a Germany twist to them or I guess that would be Russian, wouldn’t it?! Either way, they were very beautiful and interesting.

3. I wish I knew about Alexandrowka the last time I was in Postdam. Such a jewel so close to Postdam. Well, next time I have to visit it. Thanks for the tip. This is why I love your travel blog. One learns so much by reading it.
    Laura @Travelocafe recently posted..Japan Highlights: Top 10 Places to Visit in Tokyo

I do highly recommend a visit when in Potsdam. I was really amazed by all there was to do in the city.

4. Yes, definitely surprised. Very interesting that some descendants of the original inhabitants live there. The wooden houses are very charming.

5. Dick Jordan says:

Interesting! Wish I would have had time to go there when in was in Berlin.
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Capturing Look-alikes

6. Red Nomad OZ says:

What amazing buildings! Almost intriguing enough without the added incentive of apple strudel! ALMOST!
    Red Nomad OZ recently posted..12 Killer Australian Sunsets of 2012!

7. budget jan says:

Very surprising. The houses look fantastic and it would be lovely to have an Apple Strudel and soak up the atmosphere.
    budget jan recently posted..From Marrakech to the dunes of Erg Chebbi.

The apple strudel is needed for sustenance to get you up the hill to the Russian church and Belvedere 🙂

I like the sound of a slice of apple strudel with a cup of coffee – and tight about now would be perfect.

I knew nothing about this.
    Leigh recently posted..Lake Louise Cross Country Skiing: Fairview & Tramline Trails

It really is very peaceful. The tables are in the “back yard” and but up to apple orchards so it is beautiful too!

9. Lane says:

Are these original, replicas or restored? And is anyone actually living in them?
    Lane recently posted..Q&A With Traveling Bambi

10. Marlys says:

How quaint! Didn’t know about this. Got to visit this! Thanks for the heads up.
    Marlys recently posted..Not Exactly Hiking Pictures of 2012

I think you would like it. From here you can hike/walk up to the Belvedere where there is a palace, great views and takes you right past the Russian church!

11. Is it still being lived in? Can’t believe the descendants of the original settlers are still there. The houses look well-maintained though. Very nice!
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..The 12 Best Stories of 2012