September 25, 2017

Easy Crossing In Efurt Germany

For various reasons, cities and villages were founded along the banks of rivers.

Not only did they provide a way to transport people and goods, they also supplied drinking water, irrigation and food.

Sitting along the Gera River in the Thuringian region of Germany is Erfurt.

Half Timbered House along Gera River Erfurt Germany

Half Timbered House along the River

During the Middle Ages, Erfurt was a popular city on the trade route because of the ease in crossing the river. In fact, that is how the city got its name. The original name of the Erfurt’s river was the Erphes and furt means ford, which according to dictionary.com is “a place where a river or other body of water is shallow enough to be crossed by wading.”  So you can see how the two were combined to make Erfurt!

Gera River Erfurt Germany

Gera River in Erfurt

While the name of the river didn’t stick, the name of the city did!

House along Gera River Erfurt Germany

House along Gera River

Although the Gera isn’t a large river, it is impossible to miss while in Erfurt.  Just wander Erfurt and you’ll meet the waters of the Gera.

Gera River flows under Krämerbrücke Erfurt Germany

Flowing under Krämerbrücke

Today, rivers are enjoyed for different reasons. For me, rivers offer a sense of peace and calm. They’re great places to rest, walk, enjoy picnics and just take in the beauty surrounding you.

Flowered Boats Gera River Erfurt Germany

Flowered boats on the other side of island

Flowered boats in Gera River Erfurt Germany

Decorative boats in the river

How do you enjoy rivers while traveling?

These photo’s are part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. zalp says:

I like your posts about Erfurt very much. It is one of my favorite places in East Germany.
    I’m from West Germany and before the Wall came down in 1989/90 I did not know much about East German cities. Erfurt was one of the highlights of my discovering the Eastern parts of our country.

Rivers are indeed very important vital lines of cities and landscapes.
    Walking or biking along them ist often the best (and easiest) way to explore them. Only drawback is that you rarely have great views from there because next to a river you are always (topographically) down.
    [hope my English was good enough]
    zalp recently posted..Bilderkreisel 28: der (Kerker-Narren-Museums-)Teufelsturm

Your English was perfect! The views along rivers is very different and is enhanced by all the wonderful greenery growing along the banks. I really enjoyed visiting Erfurt and learning about East Germany. Hopefully I’ll return soon. Where do you live in Germany?

• zalp says:

Thank you very much for your compliment on my approach to English! But I think there is still a lot to improve.

I live in a region called Sauerland, which is in Südwestfalen (southern Westphalia), part of Nordrhein-Westfalen (North Rhine-Westphalia). My hometown Menden is about 40 km southeasterly of Dortmund.

I love walking along the banks of the two rivers that flow through Calgary – and agree – it grounds me and gives me joy every time. I love watching life along a river too -whether human, bird or animal.
    Leigh recently posted..#FriFotos – 10 Knock Your Socks Off Views

Rivers really do add beauty and serenity to towns. Your right about the wild life along rivers. Its wonderful to see and hear!

Very pretty – and another town in Germany I haven’t visited yet. So much more to see, especially in the former DDR.
    Sophie recently posted..Scotland Street, Edinburgh

4. What a pretty little spot. The lowers boats are cute…I haven’t seen those before!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Istanbul’s Aya Sofia Museum

5. This is definitely calming. I can see why you love Erfurt.
    Thanks, Debbie!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..New York’s Fashion Walk of Fame

6. Lane says:

The rivers of Europe are always so lovely. I miss rivers… Heck, living in the desert, I miss any water.

7. Donna Hull says:

The river gives Erfurt a peaceful quality. Love the flower boats..
    Donna Hull recently posted..Saturday’s scene: Celebrate Winter Trails Day