March 29, 2017

Romance – European Style

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, romance is in the air!

There are cities like Paris that are known as romantic but to me romance is in the eye of the beholder.  With romance in the air, I thought it would be fun to look at a few European destinations that are romantic.

Here are three European locations that have the glamour, enchantment and fairy tale feel to them to bring out the romantic side in me.

Lucerne Switzerland

Lucerne Old Town Switzerland

Lucerne Old Town along River

What isn’t romantic about scenery like this?  Lucerne and her lake have to be one of the most beautiful and romantic places in Europe! Everywhere you look you’ll be rewarded with beautiful mountain views.  Enjoy a romantic stroll through the old town marveling at medieval buildings or along the river.  Another romantic adventure is a steamer trip on the lake maybe even stopping off at one of the villages along the shores.   Splurging on one of the romantic lake side hotels will cap off the romance of the city!

Salzburg Austria

View from Hohensalzburg Salzburg Austria

View from Hohensalzburg Salzburg

The storybook quality of Salzburg is palpable and oozes from every corner. Salzburg is a beautiful city full of gardens, history, architectural gems, music and other cultural events.  The views from atop the Hohenbsalzburg will take your breath away and leave you feeling peaceful.  A visit to the many Sound of Music locations will bring back fond memories and a smile to your face if not a song in your heart plus they are some of the most beautiful and romantic locations in the city. A leisurely stroll through the Altstadt after dinner is a wonderful way to end the day.  It is truly a serene time of day and the darkening sky will certainly put you in a romantic mood.

Ludwig’s Castles & Small Villages of Bavaria Germany

Neuschwantstein Castle Bavaria Germany

Neuschwantstein Castle by BAYERN TOURISMUS Marketing GmbH

If you find mountains, castles, charming villages and beautiful vistas romantic then this part of Southern Germany is for you! The well known Neuschwanstein Castle will not disappoint those looking for a romantic retreat. The castle’s fairy tale feel has been sparking romance for eons.  After spending time at the castle, I suggest a walk in the mountains or visits to the many nearby traditional Bavarian villages.  Explore their streets lined with painted houses and buildings adorned with window boxes overflowing with flowers.  Enjoy learning about traditional crafts like wood working or violin making. For romantic lodging, experience a traditional Bavarian guest house!

What European city or area brings out your Romantic side?

This is my entry for Carnival of Europe hosted by Aleah Taboclaon at Solitary Wanderer. This months theme is “Most Romantic Places in Europe”.

Comments

1. Stocking the new innovative Invisi-Gard 316 marine grade stainless
    steel Security & the far more affordable 7mm Security, Coastwide as well provide a great deal of window dressings including the
    very Well-known Roller Blind, Verticals, Venetians and Timber Blinds along
    with an array of awnings for your outdoor entertainment areas.

After connecting the SATA drive, boot using a drive cloning CD and copy the drive image
    using the original IDE drive as the source and the new SATA drive as the destination. Vinyl windows made
    of vinyl or PVC (polyvinyl Chloride) offers great durability than other traditional window materials such as wood or
    aluminum.
    Replacement Windows recently posted..Replacement Windows

2. I’ve never been to Bavaria. I would have loved to see those castles and yeah, the small villages too. I bet it’s totally different from, say, Berlin. Anyway, thanks for joining the blog carnival!
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..The Most Romantic Places in Europe

3. All three of these romantic destinations have just been bumped to the top of my bucket list! What a wonderful post so full of places I long to visit! Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..A Tour Through Normandy, France

4. zalp says:

Some places are world-famous for being (considered) romantic ( e. g. Paris, Venice, Southern Bavaria). But there are many locations of romanticism.
    My personal favorites are:
    – the Rhine Valley in Germany (especially the small town of Oberwesel)
    – Lake Geneva (Switzerland/France)
    – Lake Constance (Germany/Austria/Switzerland)
    – York and the Yorkshire Dales (England)
    – Bergen and the Fjords of West Norway
    – charming town Ribe in Denmark
    – Celle and the Lüneburger Heide in North Germany
    – Freyburg and the Unstrut Valley in East Germany
    and most of all
    – Monschau (Germany, close to the Belgian border)
    zalp recently posted..Wintersinfonie in Weiß und Grau

You’ve got quite a list of romantic spots! I will have to look into some of them especially Monschau.

• zalp says:

Yes, Monschau is small but beautiful!
        And it is halfway between the city of Aachen and the Eifel National Park, which are worth a visit, too.

All very romantic and charming places! Now I just need my German husband to be a little more romantic 🙂
    Laurel recently posted..#1 Thing to Do in Grenoble, France

6. inka says:

Salzburg is my city of choice. Great selection my dear and, as always, wonderfully written.
    inka recently posted..Not sweet dreams but dreamlike sweets

7. Three of my favorite places! 🙂
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..By Foot and On Wheels: A Guide to Hiking and Cycling in Cyprus

8. Yes, yes and yes! Although I haven’t been to Neuschwantstein Castle yet — I”m sure it’s romantic to be there. I thought that Salzburg and Lucerne were both wonderfully romantic, too.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Outdoor Activities in Costa del Sol, Spain

9. Love this list even more since we’re planning to visit Salzburg and Bavaria this summer 🙂 Anything with castles and charming villages can bring out the romance in many people. Paris and Venice always bring out the romantic side in me. There’s something about those Venetian canals and gondola rides.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Disney Wordless Wednesday: Letter H

10. Vienna, Bruges, Copenhagen, Arles are very romantic with the right person …
    Team CinnaMan recently posted..Cheesecake baking demonstration at CinnaMan Villa in Austin

11. Paris comes straight into my mind as one of the most romantic cities in Europe. Venice as Leigh mentions is another but only in the off season! I have yet to see the villages in Bavaria but they certainly look beautiful….and romantic!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Tuesday Travel Bite: New York’s Top of the Rock

12. Great destinations. Being a bit of a Disney geek, I’ve always wanted to see the castles of Bavaria that they were based on..
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Disney’s Contemporary Resort – Check-In Florida

Other than Paris of course I would say Salzburg does have the fairy tale quality to it. And Venice always seems like a place that should be visited with a romantic partner too.
    Leigh recently posted..Crosscountry Skiing in Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba

14. Lane says:

Europe has an unfair romantic advantage… But, to pick one spot, we had a lovely memory made in Prague. :o)
    Lane recently posted..Sea Turtle Rescue: South Padre

I’ve never been to Prague but have seen many pictures that seemed very romantic to me. Sounds like a great choice and one I need to check out!

15. They all sound romantic, Debbie. It’d be difficult to choose — lakes, castles, gardens – all the elements that make each stand out.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Inauguration 2013: Barack Obama and MLK, United Today

I honestly think anyplace could be romantic. There are too many variables that make something romantic or not. For me, lakes, castles and gardens are a perfect location!

1. […] too, and if you have seen the Sound of Music, I’m sure you will agree. However, for her, romance, European style, also includes other cities like Lucerne, Switzerland and the castles and small villages of […]