November 1, 2014

A Summer Residence Fit for a King

Sitting just outside Berlin, Potsdam is the perfect place to escape the city, which is how Potsdam became the playground for the Prussian Royal family and explains why there are so many palaces in this one city!

Looking Back at Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

Longing to get away from all the rigors of royal duties in Berlin, Frederick the Great had a beautiful Rococo palace built in Potsdam between 1745 – 1747. Sanssouci Palace became the kings summer residence and has been likened to Versailles outside of Paris.

South Side Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

The Palace has 10 main rooms on one floor which are open to the public. The rooms are very beautiful and contain many memorabilia to Frederick including furniture and art.

Chandelier Gold Room Sanssuci Palace Potsdam Germany

The walls themselves are pieces of art!

Beautiful Room Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

Amazingly, and luckily, the GDR maintained the Palace and grounds during their occupation. Once reunification happened many of the statues, books and art were returned to Sanssouci. Also at this time, Frederick’s wish to have his body interred on the grounds was granted.

Potato King Tomb Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

The tomb of the “potato king” sits over looking the beautiful gardens. It is said Frederick the Great introduced potatoes to Germany. In fact, it seems he enjoyed them so much he served them at state dinners and handed them out when visiting other towns. True or not, people still adorn his tomb with potatoes!

View from park Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

At the back of the palace there is a beautiful terraced hill leading down to a fountain and further into the park. The park is very colorful and beautiful as well as full of amazing views back up to the palace!

Fountain and Statue Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

Sanssouci means “without concerns” and seems to be a very fitting name for this lovely palace. Even with the all the tourists, the palace and park feel peaceful and relaxing.

Flower Room Sanssuci Palace Potsdam Germany

Both the palace and the park have been a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1990.

Fountain Sanssouci Palace Potsdam Germany

As I’ve stated before, I love visiting castles and palaces and prior to leaving for Germany was very excited to visit Sanssouci. But it was the park that grabbed me. On my next visit, I will spend more time wandering the different gardens, statues and palaces that are inside the boundary of this wonderful park.

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday!
For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.
Maybe I’ll see you there!

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people at the PotsdamTourist Office!  For more information please contact either organization or visit their websites.  Even though my trip was paid for by these organizations, all opinions are my own.

Related posts:

1. New Palace – Potsdam
  2. Bavaria + King Ludwig = Castles
  3. Sleeping like a King in Austria
  4. Historic Cecilienhof Palace
  5. I’m Off to Explore Historic Germany!

Comments

1. Your syndicate agreement does not have to be a complex document.
    The options within the area range from Myall Lakes houseboats,
    cottages, apartments, cabins and guests houses, lodges and
    hotels among many others. Here are the guild quests along
    with a handy location and a listing of the reward for completion.
    deck plans for the disney wonder recently posted..deck plans for the disney wonder

2. Keep in mind that the HCG diet must not be used by pregnant women because consuming a super
    low-calorie diet like the HCG diet and weight loss is not advisable during
    pregnancy as it poses risk to both the mother and the baby.
    A persons health is far too precious to risk
    obtaining h – CG illegally off the internet just to save a few bucks.
    40 to 50 bucks if you buy h – CG regimen from a website that offer it and follow this simple plan.
    hcg weight loss recipes recently posted..hcg weight loss recipes

3. Hair is linked to our self-worth and our personality. The answer is what
    type of diet allows you as you age to produce enough hydrochloric acid to digest your food properly so the fermenting food in your stomach doesn’t cause
    other degenerative and inflammatory-related diseases.
    FUE leaves only small, circular scars that heal without the need for sutures.
    laser hair restoration does it work recently posted..laser hair restoration does it work

4. Roxie says:

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up and
    let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.

I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and
    both show the same results.
    Roxie recently posted..Roxie

5. Spot on with this write-up, I really believe this site needs far
    more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the advice!
    pinball collection recently posted..pinball collection

6. It is an unfortunate irony that many “nutritional” products people take to improve
    their appearance have the side effect of causing them to go bald.

During the treatment, the area is protected by using
    a dynamic cooling device that spreads cryogen onto the skin to cool the upper layer and facilitates you maximum comfort.
    Warm water opens up the cuticle allowing you to clean the hair shaft, but if you use warm water to rinse
    your hair the cuticle will stay open allowing moisture in and the hair shaft
    to swell.
    igrow hair rejuvenation laser Reviews recently posted..igrow hair rejuvenation laser Reviews

7. Regarding the blogging site owner, may I inquire how can you
    manage useless posts? We’re pleased to pay up simply for suggestions on how to deal with it!
    Top 10 Best Ways To Get Rid Of Acne recently posted..Top 10 Best Ways To Get Rid Of Acne

8. Love all the gilt, mirrors and chandeliers – this was one place we didn’t have time to see when I was in Berlin – next time perhaps
    Heather on her travels recently posted..Just back from Budapest – my photo diary

9. Nancie says:

What a gorgeous castle and grounds. I love that vaulted ceiling. Maybe I’ll think of one of those for my next apartment :)
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — February 21, 2013 — Chiang Mai Temple Bells

10. I love castles too and this one is so beautiful! I always enjoy seeing the opulence inside and how great you got to take pictures inside. Those walls are something else. I can spend hours on those gardens. It’s too bad we’re not visiting this part of Germany
    Mary {The World Is A Book} recently posted..Our 5 Favorite Free Things to do in Paris with Kids

They sold a pass to take pictures which was only a few euros. They said it was good for all palaces but they wouldn’t let me take pictures inside the New Palace :( Germany is great no matter which part you are in!

11. Steve says:

Gee thanks Debbie. Now my wife wants me to do our walls like the ones in the palace. I’d really be mad but it does look kind of cool.
    Steve recently posted..5 Places I’d Love to Re-Propose

12. Are those flowers on the ceiling and walls real? They look 3 dimensional.
    There’s so much detail here, I wonder how long it took to complete and how many people worked on it.

13. The extravagance is just amazing. Sanssouci Palace is just stunning. Maybe I’ll get a chance to head over there when I’m in Berlin next month. Thanks for the tour.

I think you’d like Potsdam! Hopefully you’ll find some time to grab a train and spend a day or so in Potsdam.

14. That room with the lemon walls and flowers had me dreaming, Debbie. Wonderful!
    Johanna Bradley recently posted..To the Manor born

15. What a stunning palace. It certainly reminds me of Versailles too with all the gilt work on the walls and ceiling. I do love the flower room- that chandelier is heaven! I’m looking forward to seeing the garden photos.
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Istanbul’s Hidden Street

Sanssouci is beautiful indeed! By the way, Debbie, have you visited the Royal Pavilion in Brighton?
    Sophie recently posted..Things to do with your kids in Aswan

17. Jessica says:

WOW what a wonderful palace, I was in Berlin a few weeks ago but missed this place :(

18. Muza-chan says:

Great photos :)
    Muza-chan recently posted..Kilometre Zero of Japan’s Railways

19. Jackie Smith says:

The phrase, “A palace fit for a king” comes to mind here. What an amazingly lavish place, I can only imagine what life must have been like for the Royals.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Valentine’s Day: A Re-Told Tale ~ Love and Legacy

I often wonder what they did all day! The royals didn’t cook, do laundry or clean the house or any of the normal day-to-day things we do.

20. budget jan says:

The flower room is stunning. It is amazing to think of such opulence.
    budget jan recently posted..Romantic Cinque Terre

21. This palace with its long staircase leading up to the palace and the elaborate fountains, etc., reminds me very much of Peterhof in St. Petersburg. All the Kings tried to one-up each other, and each wanted to out do Versailles!
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..A Valentine Gift for You

22. Jeff Titelius says:

Ww…this certainly reminds me of Versailles! Exquisite interiors with all the ornamentation fit for a king!! Wonderful post and photos too!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Munch 2013—Celebrating Edvard Munch in Norway with a Norway Scream

It is very similar to Versailles, isn’t it? I am always amazed by all the ornamentation in castles and palaces.

1. [...] history of Potsdam Germany includes its glory days as the playground for the rich, famous and Prussian Kings, the years spent behind the “Iron Curtain” and today where it is experiencing a [...]

2. [...] The square is the historical city center and was part of the City Palace complex for years.  The City Palace was originally built in 1662 as the winter residence of Prussian Kings beginning with Frederick the Great. [...]