February 23, 2018

Keeping An Eye To The Ground In Freiburg

Freiburg Germany is a walkers city that is very beautiful and  full of amazing buildings, history and food. So it’s no wonder that while wandering Freiburg you’d want to keep your eyes up so you don’t miss any of the amazing architectural details.

But there are at least 2 reasons you’ll want to also keep an eye to the ground during your visit in Freiburg – Mosaics and Bächle!

University Mosaic Freiburg Germany

By keeping an eye to the ground, you’ll make sure you notice the pretty mosaics found in front of many shops dotting the Old Town.

Scissor Mosaic Freiburg Germany

The mosaics alert you to what you’ll find inside. For example, a diamond indicates a jeweler, scissors a seamstress and a cow a butcher. They really are quite unique and interesting!

One of Freiburg’s most famous sights are the Bächle. These little canals run along the streets and alleys of the Old Town are enjoyed by everyone but especially young children and dogs!

Bachle Freiburg Germany

Dog in Bachle Freiburg Germany

There are even stands in the Old Town selling boats to float in the Bächle.

Freiburg Germany Bachle Collage
Even though many people believe the Bächle were made to bring drinking water into the city, my guide told me they were actually for fighting fires and could be dammed up to provide more water closer to where the fire was!

Besides not knowing the truth about their purpose, there is also at least one superstition about the Bächle. It is said you’ll marry a Freiburger if you accidentally step in one, so its important to watch your step. . . unless, of course, you want to stay in Freiburg!

Which doesn’t sound so bad, does it?

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday!
For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.
Maybe I’ll see you there!

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people with the Freiburg Tourist Office!  If you need more information on Freiburg, please visit their websites.  As always, all opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Danielle says:

Hello there! I simply wօuld like to offer you a hhuge thumbs uр for your excellent
    info you’ve got гight Һere on thiѕ post. I ԝill bе returning
    tߋ your web site for morе soοn.
    Danielle recently posted..Danielle

2. Sofia says:

What a lovely little detail to the city!
    Sofia recently posted..Traveling the East Coast of Australia

3. Caitlyn says:

Haven’t been to Freiburg yet but it looks quirky and therefore my sort of place!
    Caitlyn recently posted..KOTO, our selfish good deed

4. Ali says:

I’m glad you enjoyed Freiburg! My husband and I like our adopted home here, nice mix of old and new. I like the mosaics too, though it’s my understanding that a lot of them are pretty old so if the store has changed it still has the old mosaic out front.
    Ali recently posted..Simple Australia Itinerary

5. Andrea says:

I love the mosaics – was just speaking to a German traveller about them over the weekend
    Andrea recently posted..Beer in the USA: Land of Opportunity (to Drink Great Beer) Part II

6. Love those mosaics – must be a lot of work when a shop changes hands and a new business opens up though! I wonder if there are other towns with canals such as these – such a clever idea!
    Lisa from Gone With The Family recently posted..One Day in Geneva

7. Denise says:

This post instantly reminded me of my sister. As a child, she had a habit of always looking at the ground while walking, and she’d find all sorts of things, like coins and even bits of jewelery!.
    Denise recently posted..Picture Perfect: Singapore Signs and Fines

8. Very interesting and fun information about the Bächle – I’ll definitely watch my step when I visit since I’m not available to marry a Freiburger. The mosaics in front of the shops are very cool.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Hohensalzburg Fortress: High above Salzburg

Like the pretty mosaics. Freiburg is high on the list…
    Sophie recently posted..Exploring Ireland’s Ballyhoura with kids

10. Donna Hull says:

I visited Freiburg in December where our guide told us the stories of the mosaics and the canals. The city was charming all dressed up for Christmas. I would love to go back again.
    Donna Hull recently posted..Saturday’s scene: Hawaiian high five

One of my wishes is to celebrate my birthday by visiting the German Christmas markets! I bet Freiburg is beautiful during that time of year.

11. Dawn says:

I spent last Christmas in Freiburg and fell in love with it! It’s so close to other parts of the Black Forest and has a lot going on its own right. The Bächles surprised me – they are pretty deep and the network is quite extensive! Such a unique feature.

I bet Freiburg is beautiful during the holiday season! I would love to go back and spend time exploring the Black Forest. Thats been a dream of mine for a very long time!

12. I don’t know too much about Freiburg but I would totally stay here. What a quaint and interesting place! I love those mosaics and especially those little canals. My kids would love this place!
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..5 Free Things to do in Juneau Alaska with Kids

I love the fact that they’ll float boats down those mini canals and I think Freiburg would be a delightful place to live. Love those moasics too but what a lot of effort to make.
    Leigh recently posted..Discovering Bogota, Colombia via a Bike Tour

14. I love the mosaics – they are beautiful. What a great idea to have water so close by in case of fires!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Reach Falls Jamaica

15. budget jan says:

Love this quirky post. The street mosaics are fun and functional and how cute are those canals. Trust someone to think of selling tiny sailboats to suit.
    budget jan recently posted..Budget Experience – Madrid’s Retiro Park