March 29, 2017

Signs of Spring

I have a love-hate relationship with spring. My allergies hate it but in every other way I love spring. Spring is a rebirth. The sun comes out a bit more, snow starts melting, rivers fill up, trees come back to life and flowers start blooming. There are a lot of destinations where you can enjoy the signs of spring one of which is Europe.

Here are a few of my favorite European signs of spring!

Trees bloom and push green leaves,

Spring Trees in London England

Spring Trees by celesteh, on Flickr

Driving is a joy as the wild flowers crop up,

Wildflowers in Loire Valley France

Wildflowers in Loire Valley by celesteh, on Flickr

But its not just wild flowers. Spring brings color popping up everywhere!

Daffodils in Kensington Gardens England

Daffodils in Kensington Gardens... by Paul-in-London, on Flickr

Which brings me to one of my fondest spring memories. Back in April 1984 my husband and I were in London England wandering through Kensington Gardens and were awestruck by all the daffodils coming up, literally everywhere, all while it was ever so lightly snowing. If you’ve never been to London in spring, I highly recommend it!

Tulips in the Flevopolder Holland

Tulips in the Flevopolder by ingo.ronner, on Flickr

Tulips are definitely a sign of spring and there isn’t a better place to enjoy them than in Holland. In the small town of Lisse, just south of Amsterdam, is the biggest and best known Tulip festival. From mid-March to late May Holland celebrates everything about the tulip. The tulips stretch for miles and miles making such a beautiful sight!

Along with flowers comes better weather which pushes people outside. Whether its for the Paris marathon or a walk in the park, people just start moving more. This must be why it is also the start of festival season!

Both Munich and Stuttgart Germany have Spring Festivals that are similar to Oktoberfest but much smaller. Those Germans like to celebrate their beer at every season, don’t they?

Almond Blossoms near Neustadt Germany

Almond Blossoms near Neustadt Germany courtesy of Neustadt a.d. Weinstrasse, Tourist Kongress und Sallbau GmbH

But the Germans don’t just celebrate beer! The first wine festival of the year, the Almond Blossom Festival, is held in Gimmeldingen every March and April. During spring, the entire area is bathed in a beautiful pink hue from the blossoming Almond trees. Gimmeldingen is in the Rheinland-Pfalz region and is also known for its wine so don’t get so taken by the blossoms that you forget to have some of the local wine!

Trimming White Asparagus in Mannheim Germany

Trimming White Asparagus in Mannheim Germany by Andrew Cowin

One of my favorite times to visit Germany is during Spargelsaison (White Asparus Season). This spring event is brought on by the warming sun which brings White Asparugus to villages all over the country! Once only eaten by nobility, today the lovely asparagus is enjoyed by everyone. There is even a Baden Asparagus Route where you can enjoy a lovely drive through the countryside providing most of the asparagus plus encounter an Aspargus Festival or two! Maybe you’ll run into the Asparagus King or be the champion asparagus peeler!

These are a few of my favorite signs of spring,

What are yours??

This post is part of the spring-themed blog carnival hosted at Traveling with Sweeney.
Be sure to check out all the spring related posts!

Comments

1. Jim Liston says:

We are finally having spring here in Kansas, at least I hope so!
    I haven’t been to Europe in the spring, only in the fall, I’m sure it’s amazing!
    Jim
    Jim Liston recently posted..White Swans Blog Tour

You have been having a rather long winter! My favorite season to travel is Fall but I’ve never been to Europe during winter and I’d love to experience it over the holidays.

2. Ayngelina says:

It is finally starting to feel like Spring in Canada and it can’t come soon enough!
    Ayngelina recently posted..Thriving on uncertainty

3. I am so in need of spring- thanks so much for sharing these beautiful photos! The flowers are gorgeous and that white asparagus looks pretty interesting.
    Jessica @ A Passion and a Passport recently posted..5 Goodies You Must Try at the Jerusalem Market

4. Jackie Smith says:

We are so ready for spring in the gray Northwest that I am going to sit here and read every link on this wonderful Carnival you are hosting.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Travel Classics: Hotel de Haro ~ San Juan Island

5. I’d forgotten about allergies. Of course, with everything in bloom, allergies are sure to follow. It sure makes enjoying the blooms when you’re sniffling.
    Those tulips are so beautiful, Debbie. Happy spring!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..A Jamaican Spring

6. Most all flowers are beautiful, but there’s something about wildflowers that I especially love in the spring. I wonder if there will be any early signs of spring in Germany and Hungary when I go next week. Another pretty place in London for flowers is The Regent’s Park – Queen Mary’s Garden.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..You Give Me Fever — Spring Fever

It would be nice to see signs of spring while you’re in Germany! Berlin is much further north and I just don’t know what you’ll see.

7. Wonderful spring photos, especially the fiels of red tulips. Here we see them growing in small groups. That is glorious looking!
    santafetraveler recently posted..Blooming: spring in Santa Fe

Signs of spring are reasonably priced asparagus, a snow free yard and hints of green in my yard. I’ve got a solid month or more to go. I look forward to a rainbow of colours in my life again.
    Leigh recently posted..Day 2 of Hiking in Colombia: High Passes and Heavy Breathing

I know you still have many days of winter to go! Its fun noticing the small signs of spring as they start cropping up.

9. Donna Hull says:

To me, spring flowers offer up a sign of the earth’s renewal. They always make me feel optimistic. And now your post has me wanting to visit Germany for the Almond Blossom Festival or during white asparagus season.
    Donna Hull recently posted..One healthy change a month: stretching part 2

10. Andrea says:

I love all the flowers of spring! Can’t believe it’s almost that time again…
    Andrea recently posted..Chelsea Market in NYC

11. Caitlyn says:

Argh I cannot wait for spring! As an Australian I just can’t take the European winter 😛 I thought it must be over soon and then it had to go and snow on the weekend, argh!
    Caitlyn recently posted..KOTO, our selfish good deed

Sometimes it seems like winter is never going to end, doesn’t it? We drove to Southern California last weekend and the trees are all in bloom so it looks like spring is slowly working its way north!

1. […] that we are mid-way through Spring, its time to look forward to Summer! With summer comes warmer and longer days which brings people […]