March 24, 2017

Whimsical Salzburg

One of Austria’s most popular cities is Salzburg. The city known for Mozart, the Sound of Music and marionettes has a fun and whimsical side that can be found at Hellbrunn Palace.

On my last visit to Mozart’s city I purchased a Salzburg card which included free use of the busses and many discounted or free entrances to Salzburg’s sights including Hellbrunn Palace and Trick Fountains.  So I hopped on the bus and a short ride later was at Hellbrunn.

Grotto Dining Table Hellbrunn Salzburg Austria

Hellbrunn Palace is a Baroque villa built by the Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg as a summer house and a place to hold outrageous parties.  Built in 1612, in the Italian style of architecture, Hellbrunn is one of the best examples of Renaissance architecture north of the Alps. The beautiful grounds hold the Palace, park, gardens and the popular trick fountains.

Hellbrunn Fountain Salzburg Austria

Your ticket includes an audio tour of the palace which can be done either before or after you tour the trick fountains. While the palace is interesting, it is the trick fountains that attract most visitors!

Dining Table Hellbrunn Salzburg Austria

During your time at Hellbrunn you’ll see elaborate grottoes, sculptures, statues, ponds, fountains and the fabulous trick dining table.

Getting Wet at Dining Table Helbrunn Salzburg Austria

Touring the trick fountains you’ll come across a miniature theater and water.   Lots of water which will be coming at you from every direction even from the occasional deer head!  Keep this in mind, you will get wet!

Deer Head and Pond Hellbrunn Salzburg Austria

The whimsical trick fountains are funny and quite an architectural and engineering feat for the 1600’s!

Grotto Statue Hellbrunn Salzburg Austria

Upon exiting the fountain tour you’ll be able to enjoy the beautiful gardens full of flowers, ponds and statues. They’re also a great place to enjoy an ice cream or picnic before getting back on that bus headed back to town.

Statue Hellbrunn Salzburg Austria

Hellbrunn is a fun and peaceful adventure not far from Salzburg’s Old Town and one that is enjoyed by young and old alike.

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday!
For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.
Maybe I’ll see you there!

Comments

1. Home says:

I’m in Salzburg right now, such a beautiful city! Thanks for the tip about the Hellbrunn Palace.

2. Home says:

Home recently posted..Bổ sung chất xơ đúng cách cho trẻ để phòng táo bón

3. BeP says:

I love those trick fountains. Hellbrun Palace looks like a great side trip.

4. Rohit kumar says:

hhiii nice place ……what a fun type invironment…
    Rohit kumar recently posted..NIET

5. We did not get a chance to visit Hellbrunn when we were in Salzburg, but we love in love with that city, so I’m sure we’ll be back. The trick fountains look like fun!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Three Days: Three Berlin Photos

I know what you mean, Salzburg is an easy city to fall in love with! I think Hellbrunn is more of a summer stop anyway 🙂

6. Sofia says:

Sofia recently posted..A Guide To The Golden Triangle, India

7. The Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg sounds like he was an interesting person. I can only imagine how much fun he and his guests had at the palace.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Sandals Island

8. How much fun all of this would be to experience and that picnic table fountain…not sure I would want to be sitting there when that start spurting..LOL. Gorgeous pics as always Debbie!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..A Journey Through Warsaw’s Past and Present

I know! Can you imagine being a guest of someone who sits you at a trick table like this? Guess no one could get mad at a prince, right?

9. Denise says:

hehehe that made me smile…but I don’t like to get my hair wet!
    Denise recently posted..Beautiful Melbourne and Victoria

10. Lane says:

Juliet visited back in college and still tells me about Salzburg. It was one of the highlights of her backpacking trip. I’m need to just pack up and go see this for myself.
    Lane recently posted..Fredericksburg: Small Town Charm

11. One of my big travel regrets is not being able to spend time in Salzburg. I passed through as a young and foolish college kid, and at the time didn’t think the city was worth my time. Now I’m wishing I’d have stayed!
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Photo of the Week: Cliffs of Moher

We do make questionable decisions as college students, don’t we? I’m sure at some point you’ll make it to Salzburg and it will be a very special trip.

12. Nancie says:

Those fountains look like so much fun. I had planned a side trip to Salzburg last summer from Prague, but ended up in Budapest instead (which I loved). Next time!
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — February 28th, 2013 — Chinese New Year Fun in Chiang Mai

Salzburg is a great city and am sure you’ll find lots of great things to do when you visit!

13. We’re going to be in Salzburg this summer so we’re definitely stopping by Hellbrun Palace. This is beautiful! My kids would love the trick fountains. Thanks for the warning! I guess I’d better bring some change of clothes for them 🙂
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..5 Free Things to do in Colorado Springs with Kids

Definitely go to Hellbrunn! They will love it. While you do get wet, its not wet enough that you’ll need a change of clothes. Keep your eyes open because everywhere you walk, you’ll be surprised by mists of water.

14. Oh, I should see to return again to Salzburg. I think it’s a great idea to buy the Salzburg card.
    Laura @Travelocafe recently posted..The Amazing Costumes of Jidai Matsuri from Kyoto

I don’t buy city cards too often but did twice on this trip and found them to offer great savings plus they both included free bus rides which is a great way to get around!

15. Both of my girls want to visit Salzburg for the Sound of Music connection and I think that they would enjoy everything else that the city has to offer as well. I can understand the popularity of the trick fountains – they were the most popular fountains when we visited Peterhof Palace in St. Petersburg a couple of years ago too – my kids couldn’t get enough of them!
    Lisa from Gone With The Family recently posted..Elliston, Newfoundland – Root Cellar Capital of the World

The Sound of Music tour is wonderful. My husband went with me on that one too and it was a great way to see some of the areas outside the city too!

16. Jam @icoSnap says:

The hellbrunn palace looks so fun! I have to definitely add this on my to go place when I visit Austira.
    Jam @icoSnap recently posted..Cupcakes by Sonja

17. The trick fountains look fascinating. What a fun place to go for a day trip from Salzburg
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Going for Baroque in Sicily

Salzburg is a great city and the trick fountains are a wonderful adventure to experience!

18. Bob R says:

That table looks great. I suppose you have to hope that no sudden gusts of wind appear when you’re trying to enjoy a meal. 🙂
    Bob R recently posted..Leaving Patagonia, Slowly: RTW, The First Five Weeks

19. I remember learning about Mozart with my kids when they were little and as we finished the book we were reading, they asked if we could go to Salzburg for a field trip the next day. Was a lovely idea, but not a very practical afternoon trip from Ohio! 🙂

Beautiful pictures. I’m always drawn to fountains.
    Tonya @ The Traveling Praters recently posted..The Richland Carrousel Park From Controversial to Community Treasure

20. budget jan says:

I saw these fountains 35 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the reminder.
    budget jan recently posted..Barcelona Photos from the Streets

I love those trick fountains. Hellbrun Palace looks like a great side trip.
    Leigh recently posted..Day 2 of Hiking in Colombia: High Passes and Heavy Breathing