May 29, 2017

Neroberg, Wiesbaden’s Mountain

There are a lot of reasons to visit Wiesbaden Germany including its thermal spas,  casino, glamorous Belle Epoque buildings,  Roman wall, beautiful churches, shopping and lovely parks.  But did you know Wiesbaden also has its own mountain?

Well, depending on where you’re from, the 800 foot mountain may actually be a hill but no matter what you call it, Neroberg is a great place to spend a day!

Neroberg Train Wiesbaden Germany

I’d suggest starting off by taking the Neroberg Mountain railway, Germany’s oldest water powered railway.  Built in 1888 the trip is definitely worth taking and offers spectacular views on your way to the top of Neroberg.

Neroberg Ropes Course Wiesbaden Germany

Once at the top, you’ll find you’ve been transported to another world that seems far away from the city. Once off the railway you’re in the middle of a forest that is home to the Neroberg Nature Trail and a climbing course.  Wander till your hearts content taking in the different views of Wiesbaden and the region below.

Russian Church Neroberg Wiesbaden Germany

Don’t miss the Russian Orthodox church of Saint Elizabeth!  The church is a beautiful memorial that Duke Adolph Nassau had built for his dead Russian wife who interestingly was the niece of Tsar Alexander I.  St. Elizabeth’s church is spectacularly beautiful inside and out (unfortunately no photos were allowed while inside the tiny church) and houses the crypt of the young Russian princess.  Around the corner is a Russian cemetery.  Even though it didn’t seem as well kept as other cemeteries, it contains the  graves of many princes and princesses from the 19th century!

Russian Cemetery Neroberg Germany

Before you end your stay at Neroberg I highly recommend enjoying al fresco dining in the restaurant located at the Opelbad. You can’t go wrong as the food is as delicious as the views!  You’ll also be able to see the Neroberg’s own little vineyard which produces some very nice wine.  I suggest savoring a bottle of the Wiesbadener Neroberg wine to go along with your meal.

View of Wiesbaden Germany from Neroberg

When your visit to Neroberg is over, you can enjoy the walk down or make your way back to the railway!  Either way is splendid.

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday!
For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.
Maybe I’ll see you there!

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people at the Wiesbaden Tourist Office!  For more information please contact either organization or visit their websites.  Even though I was a guest of these organizations, all opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Pat yourself on the back you are doing great,just look at it,
    all your own work. This also helps to keep weeds down if you
    are using compost or garden soil. Option 2: Pull
    your tomato plants up, root and all and hang them up-side down in a dry,
    warm location such as a garage or basement.
    where to plant tomatoes in garden recently posted..where to plant tomatoes in garden

2. Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this web site regularly, this site is
    in fact good and the users are actually sharing pleasant thoughts.
    Best Castle Clash Hack recently posted..Best Castle Clash Hack

3. Tawanna says:

I quite like reading through a post that wil make men and women think.
    Also, manjy thanks for allowing for me to comment!
    Tawanna recently posted..Tawanna

4. Colin says:

Great information. Lucky me I came acrross your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’vebook marked it for later!
    Colin recently posted..Colin

5. Thanks for visiting Clash of Clans Daily dose. The article
    in the day is How to Raid for Resources. We all come to a
    time in the game where common actions like never seem to discover
    the right combination of troops to successfully raid elixir or gold to continue our upgrading.
    The most obvious, and easily overlooked solution to this issue is Goblins.

These small raiders do massive damage to gold and elixir.

Their speed allows them to dodge mortar attacks,
    usually are the most devastating. Pair a hundred or so
    of them with 5-6 wall-breakers to bust them into the enemy’s stronghold.

Works like a background castle clash hack.
    http://Www.Iyernetwork.com recently posted..http://Www.Iyernetwork.com

6. Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff prior to and you are
    simply extremely excellent. I actually like what you’ve
    acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which by which you say it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you still care
    for to stay it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you.

That is actually a terrific site.
    clash of Clans Hack no survey or download recently posted..clash of Clans Hack no survey or download

7. Erwin says:

Hi there are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set
    up my own. Do you require any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?

Any help would be really appreciated!
    Erwin recently posted..Erwin

8. Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a
    youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share
    it with someone!
    Jason Hope christmas party recently posted..Jason Hope christmas party

9. We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Yourr web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You
    have performed a formidable job and oour entire group will be thankful tto you.
    kerala travel agents recently posted..kerala travel agents

10. Nancie says:

Looks like a great place to spend the day. I like the train for going up the hill/mountain 🙂
    Nancie recently posted..Experience the Best of Australia for Free

Always discovering new places in our almost-neighbouring country on your site, Debbie. 🙂
    Sophie recently posted..Legoland, the original one

12. Jam @icoSnap says:

I never knew that Wiesbaden had a mountain, but the photos look so beautiful!
    Jam @icoSnap recently posted..Millennium Seoul Hilton Hotel

I find most people don’t take the time to visit Wiesbaden! Considering how close and easy it is getting to the Frankfurt airport, I think it makes a wonderful last day in Germany (or first day).

• mary says:

My ancestors came from the area east of Bad Ems Wiesbaden. I would like to travel there. What tour would take me close?
        mary

Hi Mary, I’m not sure if a tour goes to Bad Ems. I’d contact the German Tourist Bureau or Wiesbaden tourist Bureau for help.

13. I love the ropes course…doesn’t fit with the history of the area, but still so much fun.
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Top 5 Hikes of New Zealand

No it really didn’t fit. My guide had been to the ropes course as part of a bachelor party! I thought that was a pretty interesting activity for a bachelor party.

14. Lovely, Debbie. Great views, especially love the Russian Orthodox church. Did you walk it back down?
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Street Food, Jamaican Style

It really was a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. Yes we walked back down which was wonderful. Once at the bottom the path back to the city center takes you through some of Wiesbaden’s gorgeous parks!

15. What a great day trip to take. I’m fasciated by a Russian orthodox church in Germany. It would be fabulous to see iside. I’m obviously going to have to visit myself!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..The Backwaters of Kerala

16. Neroberg is definitely a mountain compared to the relatively flat Ohio land. I’d love to spend some time nosing around the graveyard and touring the church. It’s stunning!
    Tonya @ The Traveling Praters recently posted..My Favorite Photos from Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies

17. Sere says:

What a neat graveyard! I think that checking out the gravestones and finding out the dates of them is rather interesting. That church is beautiful as well.

18. Jackie Smith says:

I love the looks of that train! A great sounding outing – one I will keep in mind!
    Jackie Smith recently posted..A Night in Amsterdam

Interesting that the railway is water powered. Looks like a fun way to get up the hill. The aerial course looks like it might offer an interesting challenge too.
    Leigh recently posted..Museo del Oro – Bogota’s Fabulous Gold Museum

20. budget jan says:

I think the Russian cemetery is gorgeous. I love the trees and how cool that it has prince and princesses buried there!
    budget jan recently posted..Abbazia Di Sant’Antimo Tuscany

21. Jeff Titelius says:

What a wonderful day!! I would love to ride that railway and the Russian church looks amazing!! shame they wouldn’t allow photos inside but that’s all the more reason to pay a visit! Gorgeous photos as usual my friend!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..A Journey Through Warsaw’s Past and Present

The church was amazing! I saw two Russian churches on this trip and was amazed at how small they were inside. Parishioners stand during the services!

1. kerala honeymoon tour packages…

Neroberg, Wiesbaden’s Mountain | European Travelista…

2. kerala travel plan…

Neroberg, Wiesbaden’s Mountain | European Travelista…