June 25, 2017

Art Around Town – Statues & Fountains

I’ve got good news for those of you that don’t like museums!  To see art you don’t have to enter a museum.

Walking around a town you will run into all kinds of interesting and beautiful pieces of art.  As with all art, they can and do evoke all kinds of feelings and are a great way to learn a little history including who or what is important to the citizens.

I’ve found Statues and Fountains  wandering Europe that . . .

Honors Brave Deeds as the the Girondist column and fountain in Bordeaux France!  This beautiful column celebrates a small group of revolutionaries who banded together to save the republic.

Girondist Column Bordeaux France

Added to the peace and beauty of a garden as do all the statues and fountains found in Mirabell Gardens.  These Gardens are one of  the most popular places in Salzburg Austria and the artwork really adds to the beauty of the gardens (IMO)!

Mirabell Gardens Salzburg Austria

Told a tale of unrequited love depicted in the lovely Matthias Fountain found on Budapest’s Castle Hill.  The Fountain depicts a hunting scene where the young King met and fell in love with a peasant girl.

Matthias Fountain Budapest Hungary

Honors a beloved ruler like  Kunigunde.   King Heinrich and his wife, Kunigunde, made Bamberg their home and are one of Bamberg’s favorite rulers.

Kunigunde Bamberg Germany

Impressed me with the artistic ability of the craftsman.   At the southern entrance to the Hofburg Palace in Vienna Austria are statues depicting “The Labors of Hercules” by Lorenzo Matelli.  I found them all to be amazing and this is just one!

Labors of Hercules Vienna Austria

Even add a lighthearted feel to a city street.  Look who I ran into on a corner in Potsdam Germany – The Green Family! No clue what the significance is, I just found it interesting 🙂

Green Family Potsdam Germany

Even if you’re someone who doesn’t feel they like art, I think we’ve all been impressed by some of the Statues and Fountains we’ve stumbled into while traveling.

What Statues and Fountains have impressed you?

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday! For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Comments

1. Nancie says:

I am also a European architecture lover, and I find statues to be on the romantic side. I always wonder what is going on in the sculptors head as He/she produces their creation. This is a wonderful collection.
    Nancie recently posted..Through the Sandbox Travel Lens #53 — An Enchanting Burmese Puppet

2. I agree Debbie…it’s so fabulous seeing all this history in the streets. Coming from a country that is only 225 years old, we don’t have this background so I appreciate it whenever I travel. Rome is one of my favourite cities because of the amazing statues and fountains
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..Tuesday Travel Bite: Red Rooster Rules in Harlem

3. That’s a great collection. In the U.S. public art always seems to stir up great controversy–which I welcome, because anything that gets people talking about art is a good idea. I tend to like the contemporary works rather than hero-on-horseback statues.

People do seem to get all worked up over proposed public art, don’t they? Sometimes I just don’t understand the contemporary sculptures or statues!

4. European architecture is so fascinating. I love seeing a piece that’s spent it’s life outdoors being admired by passers by. It’s incredible to think the changes it will have seen, how the world has transformed around it yet there it remains. Wonderful photographs.
    Charli l Wanderlusters recently posted..Long Term Travel: Losing A Cagoule

The sculptures I found in Potsdam were very dirty. They are cleaning them up but I kind of liked the darker black look some had!

5. BiTi says:

Your blog is real treasure trove for travel lovers. I really enjoy it. Thank you also for stopping by pret-a-vivre.
    Our weekly party is on at:
    Please come and join us if you have time.
    Have super nice weekend!

6. Great idea for a post and some wonderful collection here, Debbie! I love outdoor and street art and am fascinated with fountains more than statues. The Trevi fountain is one I’ve found most impressive and if you ask my kids, they’ll never forget the Mannekin Pis statue in Brussels 🙂
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..5 Free Things to do in Rome with Kids

I can say I like fountains better than statues but there are those statues that just capture me!

7. What some amazing sculptures and fascinating too. We have some interesting street art in Western Australia, and I love wandering around Perth to find them, but nothing like this.
    Johanna at ZigaZag recently posted..Help! It’s a Melanoma. Why you should get your skin checked regularly.

8. amazing sculptures. We don’t have a lot of this in Australia, but in Tasmania (southern island state) we saw some amazing wooden carved statues. Of course in Paris and Versailles – amazing.
    Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for stopping by my blog today.

I don’t think we have as much here in Northern California either (unless you go to San Francisco or Sacramento). In the little town I live in they have added some interesting statues on Main St. They look like real people sitting on a park bench or standing holding balloons! They get me every time I see them.

9. I love museums, but statues and fountains never fail to catch my eye. The ones you have pictured are so ornate and beautiful.
    Tonya @ The Traveling Praters recently posted..The World’s Second Largest Gator Roadside Attraction in Kissimmee Florida

Thanks Tonya! I am not a huge museum fan but would love to have a guide take me around explaining the art and why its so important.

10. There are many sculptures that have hit my heart (I’m an art and architecture junkie, after all), but the most interesting one was definitely a fountain in Parque Del Retiro, Madrid, which is dedicated to LUCIFER. To find that in a predominantly-Catholic country… I was shocked to say the least!

– Maria Alexandra
    Maria Alexandra @Latinabroad recently posted..Puerto Rico travel video and photos: my first hosting bid!

That would be an interesting fountain to see! I’m sure they have their reasons even though it does seem surprising.

The Labours of Hercules is my fave out of the lot. I do like unexpectedly coming upon statues as I roam cities.
    Leigh recently posted..A Trip to the Zipaquira Salt Mine – aka The Underground Salt Cathedral

I love outdoor art. I’ve also seen museums take their indoors sculptures out on the street in summer, in e.g. Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
    Sophie recently posted..New Orleans by Instagram

I’ve never seen a museum take their sculptures out side. That would be very interesting and fun! Plus its a great way to get people more involved in art.

13. I’m an art lover so when I travel or just out and about, I look for statues, fountains, monuments – any type of public art.
    One of my favorite places to look at fountains and statues is Capitol Hill. Another is Central Park. You could walk around an entire day and not see the same things twice.
    Thanks for sharing these, Debbie.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Jamaica’s Fascinating Fretwork

Capital Hill is full of great statues and who doesn’t like Central Park? It is a great place to wander!

14. Michaela says:

I especially love the statues that tell a story or make you smile because of their humor. Statues in public places are fun because you don’t have to stand in lines to get to see them (most times) and you get to take really unique/funny pictures with them. Plus, it’s always a pleasant surprise to take a walk in the park and have beautiful art guide the way!
    Michaela recently posted..Flying With A Dog and Other Pets

Exactly! Although I’m not too good at interpreting symbols so a guidebook comes in really handy 🙂

15. Cj Thapa says:

Just a glance to your blog, i thought these all are situated in same country. It’s great that they are preserved and the green family looks outstanding though it has very simple art. 🙂

I do like the way Europe seems to preserve its historical buildings and maintains the statues and fountains honoring important people, times or events!

16. budget jan says:

If it wasn’t for street art, my husband and I would not see any. The best thing is you never know when and where
    you might come across it, hence giving it a special “Discovery” appeal.
    budget jan recently posted..Marooned on the Mekong

17. Steve says:

I love stopping to look at statues, but fountains….now there’s some real fun. Seriously though, if they don’t want you splashing around in those things they should put a sign up or something.
    Steve recently posted..I’m a Freezer, Not a Flasher

18. Jackie Smith says:

What a great outing you took us on! Love the statues. I think Trevi Fountain and Rome was my introduction to European statues so those will remain the most memorable.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Searching for Catania Sicily’s “Pescheria”