November 22, 2017

Impressive Augustiner Museum

I’m not what you would call a “museum person”. Nope, it doesn’t take me hours or days to explore the Louvre in Paris and I don’t visit a city just for the museums.

I do like looking at pretty pictures and have actually found a type of art I like, Impressionism. I also love gazing at glistening gold and shiny gems you find in Crown Jewels! Museums housing vintage cars are another favorite of mine.

So I was a little surprised that while in Freiburg I found a museum I really liked, the Augustiner Museum.

While I was in sunny Freiburg Germany, it rained. So I decided to visit this museum as a way to escape the rain for a bit.

And I’m so glad I did!

Walk in the museum and the very first room you come to smacks you with a first impression you won’t forget! The atrium contains many of the Prophet statues that once stood on top of the Minster that dominates Freiburg. The prophets line the sides of the room and the gargoyles peer down at you from above. This awesome sight left me feeling very small. These statues are huge – 13 feet of stone was standing in front of me! I don’t know where you can get more up close and personal with statues that usually stand so high up on cathedrals.

Augustiner museum Sculpture Hall Freiburg Germany

Augustiner museum Sculpture Hall by Gerhard51

As you wind your way up the remaining floors of the museum, this atrium remains the focal point. All the other floors are built around this center room so that it seems everything revolves around the sculpture hall. The dramatic design allows visitors to see the statues and gargoyles in a unique perspective.

Looking down on Sculpture Hall Augustiner Museum Freiburg Germany

Augustiner Museum_1964 by sbamueller, on Flickr

The former Abbey church has been remodeled into a wonderful museum housing a great collection of medieval art, stained glass from the Minster, carvings, tapestries, gold and silver treasures, a 14th century crucifix, altarpiece by Grunewald and paintings from the 19th century.

Stained Glass from cathedral in Augustiner Museum Freiburg Germany

Stained Glass from Cathedral Augustiner Museum by sbamueller, on Flickr

While on the top floor make sure to notice the exposed wood beams that are very impressive. The skylights on this floor offer a wonderful natural light to view the art!

Madonna with sleeping child Augustiner Museum Freiburg Germany

Madonna with sleeping child by Hans Baldung Grien ca 1520 from wikimedia

The designer has infused the museum with his style which includes a gift for the dramatic! The impressive architecture and interior design work has created the perfect place to enjoy the historically significant pieces on display.

Berg Kristallschnitt Augustiner museum Freiburg Germany

Berg Kristallschnitt Augustiner by Joergens.mi

Regardless of how you feel about museums, I think you’ll leave the Augustiner Museum very impressed.

How do you feel about museums?

Many thanks to Historic Highlights of Germany for organizing this trip and to the wonderful people with the Freiburg Tourist Office! If you need more information on Freiburg, please visit their websites.

Comments

1. Rop tedavisi says:

Thanks to my father who informed me concerning this website, this
    blog is actually awesome.
    Rop tedavisi recently posted..Rop tedavisi

2. Home says:

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker who was conducting a little homework on this.
    And he actually ordered me dinner due to
    the fact that I stumbled upon it for him… lol. So allow me
    to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah,
    thanx for spending time to talk about this matter here on your blog.
    Home recently posted..Home

3. If you want to relocate to this beautiful town then you should invest in a well maintained home or buy
    an apartment in an upscale housing society.

kommen werden auch wieder Deutsche Banken nach Hilfe schreien, da diese ja.
    chstes eher Einkauf zu lesen, mein Standort Fun –
    Twiter jene Immobilienbranche ist bestimmt eine goldene Spanne Ansicht.
    immobilien wuppertal barmen recently posted..immobilien wuppertal barmen

4. mcmonigle says:

Excellent do the job! Which is the kind of facts that should often be embraced through the internet. A sense of shame on the engines like google with no for a longer period placing the following offered larger! Come on above and also talk over with this site. Thank you Equates to)

I’m not really a museum person either, but always enjoy hearing about ones that other non-museum people enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.

6. Jackie Smith says:

What a great looking place. I love it when the space is as interesting as what is on display. Nice photos!
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Arizona: Take a Hike! Or a Walk in the Park . . .

7. Spectacular museum! Wow, a converted Abbey…looks exquisite! And yes, those prophets and gargoyles look quite imposing indeed. Fantastic photos I must say too! The Freiburg Augustiner Museum is definitely on my list for my trip to Germany, if I ever get there! ; )
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..ArtSmart Roundtable: The Funny Faces of Manneken Pis in Brussels, Belgium

8. Marlys says:

That’s a very apt and clever way to transform an old abbey. Although, all in all, we don’t usually go to museums when we’re on holidays, except if the weather prevents us from doing other things, like hiking or walking around the city.
    Marlys recently posted..What’s New, Pussycat?

Obviously I don’t visit a lot of museums but there are some you just have to go and enjoy!

9. I can understand not liking museums, Debbie, especially since some (like the Louvre) are so gigantic. It’d take a month or two to get through it. I’m glad you found one that impressed you – even though there were no Impressionist paintings or Crown Jewels.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Good Hope Great House & Plantation, Jamaica

I have a good friend that I’ve traveled with who spends hours devouring museums! Luckily she understands and I go do my own thing 🙂

I love a good art museum and there are others like this that you happen upon that end up being incredible. What an impressive entrance and what beautiful pieces you’ve shown. Lucky for you it rained.
    Leigh recently posted..Backpacking to Berg Lake in Mount Robson Provincial Park

11. Lane says:

It depends on the museum. You can’t miss the Louvre if visting Paris. And, actually, some of the smallest museums are the best as they are more accessible.
    Lane recently posted..In Search of Tenorio Flat

I agree, Lane. No one should miss the Louvre if they’re in Paris! I actually would love to tour the Louvre with a guide who would tell me all about the art 🙂