June 25, 2017

Warnemunde – A Baltic Beach Resort

While I don’t make it to many beaches in Europe, last fall I did have the opportunity of visiting the lovely fishing village of Warnemunde Germany which is also home to a very beautiful beach!

Sand Dune Warnemunde Germany

Sand Dune Warnemunde Germany

Historic Warnemunde sits on the Baltic Coast at the mouth of the Warnow River just outside Rostock Germany. Strolling through the small village you’ll run into timber-framed houses, quaint squares, restaurants, shopping, pubs and a neogothic church where after visiting you’ll understand just how deep the maritime history goes!

Votiv Ship hanging inside church Warnemunde Germany

Votiv Ship hanging inside church Warnemunde Germany

The Beach

A long stretch of sandy beach straddles the river Warnow. During the summer the beach is full of people strolling at waters edge, children playing, kites soaring high and even some brave souls swimming! They say the water is very cold but it really didn’t feel colder than the water at home in the San Francisco Bay area.

Beach Chairs in Warnemunde Germany

Beach Chairs in Warnemunde Germany

Lined up on the beach are “strandkorben” or wooden chairs. These chairs were actually invented in Warnemunde to protect visitors from the coastal winds. Strong sea breezes create a perfect venue for sailing, windsurfing and kite boarding.

Beach in Warnemunde Germany with Teepott and Lighthouse

Beach in Warnemunde Germany with Teepott and Lighthouse

Along the edge of the sand sits the Teepott, an example of East German architecture with a restaurant and museum, and the lighthouse dating to 1897. Climb to the top for impressive views of the Baltic, Warnemunde and surrounding area!

Boats lining Alter Strom Warnemunde Germany

Boats lining Alter Strom Warnemunde Germany

The Harbor

Warnemunde is a fishing village so it’s no surprise that the harbor is not only lined with shops, restaurants and the famous fish market but also beautiful fishing boats. Walk along the Alter Strom (old channel) all the way to the end of the Westmole for amazing views, see the lighthouse at the end or just sit on the rocks and watch the boats come and go!

Boats by Mole in Warnemunde Germany

Watching Boats by Mole in Warnemunde Germany

Boats heading for Baltic in Warnemunde Germany

Boats heading for Baltic in Warnemunde Germany

Like most beach towns, Warnemunde is active and relaxed at the same time!

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday! For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Comments

1. Maling tht small funding earlier than applying for small enterprise loans can repay in a quicker acceptance
    and higher terms.
    https://twitter.com/S63Jam recently posted..https://twitter.com/S63Jam

2. It is used for making high precision machining and precision-machined parts.
    Business owners from many different industries rely on these services to develop their products.
    It is small enough to be portable, durable enough to be a Father.
    CNC Prototyping recently posted..CNC Prototyping

3. AATravel says:

This place should be a lot more popular, not many many international tourists know about it.

4. I visited Warnemunde last winter & was pleasantly surprised; not at all what I was expecting! I thought of the saying ‘If you liked it in Winter, you’ll love it in Summer’. I put a couple of posts, some pictures and a video in my blog and a lot of people said this was the first they’d heard of it. There was also a lady who’d lived there for a while said she had no idea people from outside Germany ever came there
    Keith Kellett recently posted..Narvik and the Otofen Railway.

I’m not sure a lot of people from the US venture that far in Germany. I’ve had people comment they didn’t even know Germany was on an ocean or sea. Its too bad because there are some wonderful areas of Germany outside the normal tourist track and Warnemunde is just one. I loved Warnemunde too and would love to take my husband back some day.

5. I learn something new every day. I never knew that there are beaches in Germany. I clearly need to look at an atlas.
    santafetraveler recently posted..Santa Fe Tourism Expo May 9th

I don’t think you’re alone! Most people only associate Germany with Bavaria and mountains.

6. I believe I saw Warnemunde mentioned as the port stop for people wanting to do a day trip to Berlin while on a Baltic Sea cruise. I don’t know why, but I just imagined it as a grimy, industrial port town. I guess this is why we need to do travel research and why travel bloggers rock!
    Suzanne Fluhr (Just One Boomer) recently posted..Philadelphia Phriday – The Day Before Our Son’s Wedding

Yes, Warnemunde is the port stop for Berlin although I’m not sure you get to see much of Berlin after the rather long train ride! After visiting I’d spend my time in Warnemunde and/or Rostock and leave Berlin for another trip.

7. I have to say too, one just doesn’t tend to associate the sea and the beach with what (incorrectly) in one’s head is a landlocked country!
    Maybe that’s why this piece of coast is so special facing the Baltic and the North Sea? 😉
    Linda ~ Journey Jottings recently posted..Joining the Dots with Journey Jottings

I think you’re very correct! I’ve not spent any time along the North Sea but have heard wonderful things about some of the resort islands!

8. Gaelyn says:

It’s true, I hadn’t thought about beaches in Germany, but this one proves it’s not only true but delightful. Those beach chairs look like they would make good protection from the wind. Could be an asset on many beaches. Thanks for sharing this unique place.
    Gaelyn recently posted..Foto Friday Fun 5

I would love to go back and spend a relaxing few days wandering the town and beaches more!

9. Not only have I never heard of Warnemunde but I have never thought about German beaches. Wondering was it warm when you were there?
    Patricia aka BoomerWiz recently posted..Where are The Best Beaches in the World

I think a lot of people don’t realize Germany has beaches. The day I was in Warnemunde the weather was mixed. Sometimes cloudy and other times bright sunshine. While I wouldn’t say it was hot, it was warm enough to have lunch outside!

10. I actually never imagined a beach like this in Germany. Warnemunde is beautiful. But the water might be a little cold for me if it’s like we’ve got here in the SF Bay Area. I’ll just relax in one of those beach chairs. 🙂

11. Sofia says:

Warnermunde looks lovely! Few people think of Germany as a beach destination, but it actually has some really nice beaches. I went on a road trip there years ago and saw some really nice places, although the water was just like in Sweden – freezing compared to southern Europe!
    Sofia recently posted..A Quick Guide To Normandy, France

I haven’t been to the beaches of old Eastern Germany for ages. I remember getting a feel of the old East (in an interesting way) last time, even though that was a few years after the wall fell. Would be interesting to have a new look.
    Sophie recently posted..World at a Glance: Republic of Hout Bay

13. D says:

The Eglise Notre Dame des Victoires church in Quebec City has a similar model of a sailing vessel hanging from its ceiling.
    D recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Capturing “Big Bird”

14. I’ve never been to any beaches in Germany. Love this one though, especially the sand dunes and the boats. Reminds me of the beaches we have here in the Philippines, although the sand color looks different.

15. This area of Germany is unexpected and beautiful especially those sand dunes. We were looking at visiting Rostock last summer and riding a ferry from Denmark but didn’t have enough time. That old channel looks like a wonderful place for a sidewalk stroll too.
    Mary {The World Is A Book} recently posted..The Marvels of the Getty Center Los Angeles

It was a splendid day! I think a ferry ride would be a great way to visit one of the northern countries.

16. Margaret says:

I’ve never thought of visiting a German beach, but these photos make me want to. I don’t sail, but I love to watch sailboats.
    Margaret recently posted..Why, yes, I will eat that chocolate chip cookie!

Germany isn’t you’re normal beach vacation destination but I’m beginning to rethink that!

17. Wow, I never thought Germany had such great beaches. The sand looks beautiful, very powdery, very inviting. I can just imagine how crowded it gets in the summer.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..The Jamaican Cherry

The sand is exactly as it looks – very soft! I think it is a spot Germans flock too during the warm months.

I never think of Germany and beaches but this one certainly looks worth lounging on.
    Leigh recently posted..10 Things You Should Know About Shuswap Lake Houseboating

Seems a lot people didn’t know about German beaches 🙂 Warnemunde was a wonderful beach community!

19. Katherina says:

Wow, I had no idea Germany had beaches like these… somehow I had imagined it all being quite rocky – nothing like sand dunes. Great shots!
    Katherina recently posted..Essentially London: Reflections in the City

20. Muza-chan says:

Great photos 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day: Takahashi Minami – Jane Doe

21. Lisa says:

I had no idea that Germany had beach towns either! I knew that Warnemunde was a port of call on some Baltic cruises but I assumed that it was more of a commercial port. This looks lovely!!
    Lisa recently posted..A Walk in Central Park

22. Very interesting! But what captured my attention most were the beach chairs! Amazing, like something from Victorian England. Hmmm, we could do with some in WA on windy days too 🙂
    Johanna at ZigaZag WA Travel & Lifestyle recently posted..Life’s a Beach in Esperance

They are very unique! I have never seen chairs like these on any of the beaches I grew up around.

• JMT says:

These beach chairs, or Strandkörbe, were actually invented in Rostock 🙂 They are quite common in Germany though.

23. budget jan says:

Gosh, I did not realize that Germany had such beautiful beaches! I am a big fan of sailboats and harbours so Ioved this post. Would like to see a close up of those chairs 🙂
    budget jan recently posted..Old Town Sintra

The day I spent in Warnemunde was one of my favorites of the entire trip. I can’t tell you have wonderful it was sitting on the rocks watching the beautiful boats sail out to sea and back! Doesn’t really get much better 🙂

24. Hi Debbie,
    Caught a glimpse of the first photo and thought it was somewhere in the Caribbean. I’ve never associated Germany with exotic looking beaches and lighthouses, but I guess Germany always offer a big surprise. Warnemunde’s name alone is exotic and interesting.
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates.com recently posted..Monks Don’t Live in Angkor Wat

Germany is a diverse country! Warnemunde and its beach were beautiful. I’d love to return someday.