December 22, 2014

To Market, To Market

Farmers markets that is!

There are a lot of reasons I love summer but one of the best things (in my humble opinion) is the bounty of summer fruits and vegetables. And the best place to buy these goodies is at a Farmers Market.

With Summer officially beginning next week, its time to get out and spend some time wandering a local Farmers Market. . .  no matter where you are.

There is not a better place to enjoy a Farmers Market than in Europe!

The longer days and warmer weather of summer combine to produce a feast for your belly and eyes!  It seems each town in Europe has their own Farmers Market offering up a beautiful array of colorful fruits,

Farmers Market Bamberg Germany Fruits

Fruits in Bamberg Germany Farmers Market

Delicious vegetables,

Farmers Market Freiburg Germany Vegetables

Vegetables at Freiburg Germany Farmers Market

even some I’m not familiar with!

Farmers Market Freiburg Germany Carrots

Who knows what the long red vegetables are??

Plus a rainbow of colors from vibrant flowers!

Farmers Market Freiburg Germany Flowers

Colorful Flowers at Freiburg Germany Farmers Market

Farmers markets are a wonderful place to grab some snacks or items for a picnic lunch plus strolling the market is a great way to get out with the locals!

Do you visit Farmers Markets in Europe?

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday! For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Related posts:

1. #FriFotos – Blooms
  2. The Grandeur, the Fall and Rebirth in Potsdam
  3. First Impressions of Mainz
  4. Beer Festivals. Munich. No Crowds. You can’t be serious???
  5. All I Want For My Birthday . . .

Comments

1. S says:

It’s a purple carrot. Like there are orange beets, red potatoes, etc.

2. a says:

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace
    group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Many thanks
    a recently posted..a

3. I’ve not been to Europe, but have enjoyed Farmer’s Markets in the states. I visited our first one when we were traveling and the kids and I desperately needed an excuse to get out of our hotel room in the small town we were staying. The market was a treat. I found fruit and veggies we could munch on, flowers to brighten our hotel room and the most incredible goat’s milk soap.
    Tonya @ The Traveling Praters recently posted..A Delightfully Lazy Day at Put-in-Bay

I think anyone that has ever traveled with children understands your need to get out of the hotel room! I’ve found my kids have always loved farmers markets too.

4. Andrea says:

Famers markets are great to wander around. Did just that this morning here in Zagreb and spotted a few types of beans I’ve never seen before. Amazing!
    Andrea recently posted..The Venetian Walls of Budva

Definitely a relaxing way to experience local culture! I always run into some vegetable or fruit that I’ve never seen.

5. Nancie says:

I love farmers markets anywhere. When I was in Prague last summer there was a market about two doors down from where I was staying. It was set up 2 or 3 times a week, and it was fabulous. I drank lots of local wine and coffee, and ate some fantastic local food.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — June 13, 2013 — Favorite Bridges in Korea

That sounds like a wonderful market! So fun to sit with locals enjoying wonderful produce, foods and drink :)

6. Andrea says:

I love farmers markets – definitely one of my fav aspects of Europe
    Andrea recently posted..Settling In

I agree, Andrea. Farmers markets are a wonderful aspect of traveling in Europe and I look for them in each city I visit!

7. Sofia says:

I love farmers markets too! The best one I’ve ever been to was in Turin, it has the largest and cheapest open-air market in Europe, so many delicious vegetables. I wish every city had markets like that!
    Sofia recently posted..Must See West End Musicals This Summer!

8. I love visiting markets in Europe and even the farmer’s market down the street. The ones in Europe though seem to have that special community feel. We’re excited to visit Munich’s Viktualienmarkt in a couple of weeks. The colors and all that freshness are awesome.
    Mary {The World Is A Book} recently posted..Fun Times at the San Diego County Fair

Viktualienmarkt is one of my all time favorite places! Went there on my first ever trip to Germany and go back each visit. Grab some picnic supplies and head to the park :)

9. Jessica says:

The red veggie looks a like a confused radish. Or maybe it is a confused carrot? :)
    Jessica recently posted..The Color and Culture of the Turks and Caicos

It certainly is longer than any radish I’ve seen here in the states and a different color than any carrot! In general, I feel the European markets have many fruits and vegetables I’ve never seen or heard of which makes them even more fun.

10. budget jan says:

As Sophie says the long red vegetable could be a carrot, but my first thought was that it was a long radish. :) Markets are such wonderful places to wander in, especially if you have a kitchen to cook the produce in.
    budget jan recently posted..Welcome to the Only Walled City North of Mexico City: Quebec City

11. I love farmer’s markets and any kind of food market in Europe. Everything always look so fresh and beautiful and delectable. Your shots capture the atmosphere of a true farner’s market.
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates.com recently posted..Wadi Rum: In the Footsteps of Lawrence of Arabia

I think the fruit and vegetables at European farmers markets always look so much fresher than at home. I may have travelers goggles on, though :)

12. denise says:

I did when I lived in Switzerland. One was held almost every Wednesday in the main station hall of Zurich, and they had food stalls as well which used the produce, so I usually had my lunch there.
    denise recently posted..When I let go: Visiting the unexpected Tokyo

13. Krista says:

Oh those carrots are so sturdy and gorgeous! Yes, I love Farmer’s Markets very much. :-) I remember one in Dubrovnik where I got candied orange peel from the sweetest lady. I loved it. :-)
    Krista recently posted..Viking Tea, Hungarian Beads, and A Medieval Breakfast

14. We loved the farmer’s markets during our stay in Provence a couple of summers ago – it was a favourite activity for both of my daughters!
    Lisa Goodmurphy recently posted..Exploring the Bay of Fundy at Hopewell Rocks

15. Jackie Smith says:

We share your love of farmer’s markets and often our favorite memory of a city is its market!
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Crete: Sunday Morning at – not ‘in’ – Church

Farmers markets are nice, aren’t they…
    (I think the long red vegetables might be a carrot variety called Atomic Red)
    Sophie recently posted..Valley of the Kings

They are wonderful! I use them as a way to at least feel like I’m eating somewhat healthy when traveling :) I’ll look into the Atomic Red carrot.

17. I love food markets! visiting them is usually the first thing I do when arriving in a village or town. For the last couple of years we have stayed in an apartment in Paris and it has been fabulous to be able to shop at the markets instead of just looking and taking millions of photos!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..The Abandoned Village of Gairo Vecchio

I remember visiting a farmer’s market in Provence and not only did the food look great but so did the olive oils, olives, handmade soaps, and distinctive linens from Provence. It’s such a great way to spend a few hours.
    Leigh recently posted..A Toronto Photography Tour

There is so much more than fresh fruit and vegetables at these wonderful markets! I’ve wanted to wander the markets in Provence for quite awhile. They are known to be very interesting!