July 25, 2014

Art Around Town: Budapest

To enjoy art you don’t have to visit a museum.  In fact, art can be seen while wandering the streets of any city you visit.  You see it in the statues, monuments, fountains and buildings lining the streets and squares.

A city that has a lot of art along its streets is Budapest Hungary where the streets are full of beautiful buildings and hundreds of sculptures.  But you better be prepared to look up to take in all the amazing art work.

Here are a few examples of the beautiful artwork you’ll see wandering the streets of Budapest!

Parliament Building

This icon of Budapest sits beautifully along the Danube River.  Best seen either from the river or from across the river, this Neo-gothic design was completed in 1902 and is one of the largest Parliament buildings in the world.  Look closely and you’ll see many statues of Hungarian rulers, arcades, gargoyles and spires along with other Gothic decorations.

Stunning Parliament Building Budapest Hungary

Stunning Parliament Building Budapest Hungary

St Stephen’s Basilica

Named in honor of Stephen the first King of Hungary, the Neo-classic basilica was completed in 1905 and, along with the Parliament Building, is one of the tallest buildings in the city.  Walk around the facade enjoying the many columns, 2 bell towers, the bust of King Stephen over the main portal, the beautiful tympanon over the main portal and statues of the 12 apostles.

Wonderful western facade St Stephens Basilica Budapest Hungary

Wonderful western facade St Stephens Basilica

Museum of Ethnography

Originally built to house the Supreme Court, the Museum of Ethnography is housed in a 19th century palace.  The architectural masterpiece is stunning from the outside but I’ve heard the inside is even more impressive.  Look at all the statues adorning the top of this building!

Art litters the top of the Museum of Ethnography Budapest Hungary

Art litters the top of the Museum of Ethnography

Opera House

Liszt and Erkel adorn the lower portion of the beautiful Opera House but take a look up and you’ll see statues of some of the world’s greatest composers lining the top.  Included are Mozart, Beethoven and Verdi.

Great composers line the top of the Opera House Budapest Hungary

Look up to see some of the worlds greatest composers!

Hungarian National Bank

Besides the beautiful entrance, people come to see the bas-reliefs adorning the outside of the Hungarian National Bank.  These reliefs depict trade across the ages from camel traders to tea traders.  Sitting along Freedom Square, the building is a wonderful example of the late classical style.

Notice the Bas-Reliefs along the Hungarian National Bank Budapest

Notice the Bas-Reliefs along the Hungarian National Bank

As you can see, Budapest is full of many examples of art around town and now you’re forewarned you might develop a sore neck taking it all in!

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday! For more great pictures, make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Related posts:

1. Art Around Town – Statues & Fountains
  2. 6 Free Things to do in Budapest
  3. Architectural Gem in Budapest
  4. Nagy: A Hungarian Hero in Budapest
  5. Honoring Heroes in Budapest

Comments

1. Hello to every one, because I am really keen of reading this website’s post
    to be updated daily. It consists of good information.
    jak szybko schudnac z ud recently posted..jak szybko schudnac z ud

2. Meli Shannon says:

I’ve just found your blog and its perfect! Myself and my friend who run our chick-chat blog, will be travelling around Europe this summer. I can’t wait for Budapest! this is a lovely post. I would love if you could check out this post http://www.chick-chat.co.uk/2014/04/summer-2014-top-3-student-travelling.html and leave your opinion!

Thanks :) xx
    Meli Shannon recently posted..Cloud 23, Manchester – A Bar With A View!

3. This is so true! Trips to museums are great but there is so much art everywhere.

I’m particularly fond of street art and among the best I’ve seen were in Valparaiso, Chile.
    Marcello Arrambide recently posted..Hungry Crab At Galapagos Islands

4. Escapist says:

Loved that city!
    That’s the most beautiful parliament building in the World – after having seen the gold-plated interiors.
    One of the best ways to see Budapest is to walk around by foot in the central area…

5. Wow – the Parliament building is especially impressive! I’ve never been to Budapest, but it looks like a very beautiful city!
    Dana Carmel @ Time Travel Plans recently posted..Discovering Downtown Portland

There are quite a few lovely buildings in Budapest but the Parliament building is hard to beat.

6. Marcia says:

I love places where art abound, where you don’t have to visit a museum to see beauty. Thanks for sharing Budapest, Debbie.
    Marcia recently posted..Friday Focus: Kristi Keller

Me too! I think its great because you don’t even realize your an art lover since you’re not in a museum :)

7. I want to go to Budapest! I love gorgeous architecture and always enjoy looking up especially in these European cities. My favorite has to be that Museum of Ethnography with all those statues on top and of course, the parliament. So, I had to google ethnography and this museum sounds very interesting :)
    Mary {The World Is A Book} recently posted..River Surfers, Beer and Birds at the English Garden Munich

It is stunning, isn’t it? I need to go back to Budapest, there is so much that I missed.

8. I just visited Budapest for the first time in March. I fell in love with it. The art and architecture is amazing. I particularly loved Parliament and St. Stephens – inside and out!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Cruising the Mediterranean: History Amidst the Bustle of Italy

I loved being at Fishermans Bastion! The views were amazing plus this side of the city just has a different feel to it.

9. Hi Debbie,
    Isn’t Budapest stunning? You’re right about not going museums to see the arts of Budapest. I’ve loved the city architectures and statues and you had a great list of them. Thanks for brining back fond memories of this beautiful city/
    Marisol@TravelingSolemates recently posted..Dominica: Hiking through Carib Indian Territory

Budapest has so much art on the street! I think you could spend days just trying to see all the statues.

10. You are really stoking my interest in Budapest. I really like that first photo and the architecture of the building. I think it’s interesting how they use statues way up high, not just down on the ground at eye level.
    Michele {Malaysian Meanders} recently posted..The Empire of Death

The statues on the roof edge are very interesting but Budapest also has a ton of statues at eye level!

11. beautiful buildings. I love the art and architecutre of Europe. Thanks for taking me there.
    and thank you for stopping by my blog today. Have a wonderful weekend ahead.
    Life Images by Jill recently posted..High life at the Raffles, SIngapore

The streets of Budapest are full of beautiful architecture as is Europe! I too find it all very amazing.

12. Krista says:

I love Budapest so much!!! Such lovely buildings. :-)
    Krista recently posted..Into the Woods and a Lemon Cream Tart

One day I’ll get to Budapest – and I’ll take your advice to look up. I always like that perspective. Those Parliament Buildings are over the top!! I wonder how many sculptors and stone masons were employed when all this building took place.
    Leigh recently posted..Don’t Miss a Stay at the Cape D’Or Lighthouse in Nova Scotia

It is mind boggling when you look at how grand these buildings are and realize how long ago they were built. How did they do that?

14. Definitely a city where I’d end up with 1000 photos in a week :-)
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Quirky, small town America

15. Jackie Smith says:

Oh so tempting these photos make Budapest. We keep saying, ‘one of these days’ and today I am saying it with more conviction! Thanks.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..‘Wind-blown’ Crete: And for 25-euros a night. . .

16. noel says:

Well what perfect timing, I’ll be visiting this October so these will be must see places to visit, thanks for sharing.

Come link up with us for Travel Photo Mondays, it runs the whole week :)
    noel recently posted..Hawaii Island, Key attractions on the west side

Hey Noel,
      Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to seeing the pictures you come home with. Enjoy your time in Budapest!